- Dr Lisa Tam
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow
QUT Business School,
Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations
- Discipline *
- Communication and Media Studies, Marketing
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Purdue University), MPhil (Chinese University of Hong Kong), MStratPR (University of Sydney), BA (University of Sydney)
communication, measurement, public relations, public diplomacy
I am Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the QUT School of Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations in Brisbane, Australia and a Research Associate at the Debiasing and Lay Informatics (DaLI) lab at the University fo Oklahoma. Prior to joining QUT, I was Lecturer (U.S. equivalence of tenure-track Assistant Professor) of Strategic Communication at La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia.
I received my Bachelor of Arts (Sociology and Social Policy) in 2008 and my Master of Strategic Public Relations (with Merit) in 2009, both from the University of Sydney. In 2009, I joined a graduate program in corporate relations in Hong Kong. In 2012, I completed a Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) in Communication at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. In 2015, I received my Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Public Relations (also minoring in organizational communication, research methodology, and consumer behaviors) from Purdue University in the US.
At QUT, I have been involved in projects to which I contribute my conceptual and methodological expertise to developing solutions for real-world problems, such as developing research instruments, measurement scales, and analytical models, to assist organizations in identifying problems, managing their causes and developing approaches to solving them. I also have a strong interest in the use of industry tools, such as Meltwater, Brandwatch, Hootsuite and HubSpot, in practice. I work with students, faculty colleagues from different disciplines, and industry partners to translate research findings into practical outcomes which benefit both the industry and society.
I have been honored with the following recognitions and opportunities:
- 2018 Two Commercial and Consultancy Projects, funded by industry partners
- 2017 One Start-Up Grant, and Two Competitive Research Grants, respectively awarded by three research units, QUT
- 2015-16 One Start-Up Grant, and Two Competitive Research Grants, respectively awarded by three research units, La Trobe University
- 2016 Page & Johnson Legacy Scholar, Arthur W. Page Society
- 2014 Summer Research Grant, Purdue University
- 2014 Peter Debrecency Corporate Communication Award, International Public Relations Research Conference (IPRRC)
- 2011 Top Student Paper Award, Social Cognitive Division, National Communication Association (NCA)
- 2011 Media Academy Fellow, Salzburg Academy on Media and Global Change, Salzburg Global Seminar
- 2010, 2011, 2012 Outstanding Teaching Awards, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 2008, 2009 Women’s Committee Bursary, International House, The University of Sydney
I was unit coordinator for AMB330 Digital Portfolio in Semester 2, 2017 and am lecturing AMB263 Introduction to Public Relations (undergraduate) and AMN265 Public Relations Management (postgraduate) in 2018.
I have previously taught the following classes:
La Trobe University, Australia (2015-17)
- STC1WSC Writing for Strategic Communication
- STC1CAM Campaigns: Strategy, Analysis and Design
- STC2CTA Communication Theory and Analysis
- STC5SOC Strategic Communication in Society (postgraduate)
- STC5RES Strategic Communication Research (postgraduate)
- STC5THP Strategic Communication Thesis (postgraduate)
Purdue University, U.S.A. (2012-15)
- COM114 Fundamentals of Speech Communication
- COM314 Advanced Presentational Speaking
- COM325 Interviewing: Principles and Practices
Chinese University of Hong Kong (2010-12)
- COMM2910 News Analysis
- COMM4140 International Communication
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.