This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
- Dr Jon Silver
- Discipline *
- Film, Television and Digital Media
- +61 7 3138 0273
- +61 7 3138 8195
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), PhD (Queensland University of Technology), Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology)
film distribution, movie distribution, digital disruption, digital distribution, cinema, hollywood dominance, movie marketing, new screen ecology, multi-channel networks, OTT
Jon Silver is a Senior Lecturer (Film & TV Producing) in the Creative Industries Faculty at QUT.
His PhD, “Hollywood’s Dominance: How did it arise and how has it been maintained”, was completed at QUT in 2008. His research interests and publications focus on ‘big picture’ strategic issues facing the movie business ‘past, present and future, including
- film business history
- the impact of technology on distribution and exhibition
- development of future scenarios for the movie business.
Jon is a feature film producer, his most recent film credit is Executive Producer of Bill Bennett’s thriller ‘Uninhabited’ currently in post-production with a release anticipated in 2010/2011.
Jon worked in film distribution and exhibition during the 1980s as General Manager, Marketing at Greater Union (GU) where he directed the marketing of movies released through GU’s film distribution company and he supervised the marketing of GU’s cinema chain. He has also worked as a Senior Consultant in the Strategic General Management Unit at Price Waterhouse Urwick and prior to that was a consultant with W.D. Scott & Co. Jon is a member of the Screen Economists Research Group.
- Maher SW, Silver JD, Kerrigan S, (2016) Australian feature films and distribution: industry or cottage industry?, Studies in Australasian Cinema p114-128
- Cunningham SD, Silver JD, (2015) Studying change in popular culture: A 'middle-range' approach, The Routledge companion to global popular culture p149-158
- Cunningham SD, Silver JD, (2013) Screen distribution and the new King Kongs of the online world p1-134
- Cunningham S, Silver J, (2012) On-line film distribution: Its history and global complexion, Digital Disruption: Cinema Moves On-Line p33-66
- Silver J, (2012) The first global entertainment company : explaining Pathe's global dominance in the pre-Hollywood film industry, Entertainment Industries: Entertainment as a Cultural System p79-97
- Cunningham SD, Silver JD, McDonnell JJ, (2010) Rates of change: Online distribution as disruptive technology in the film industry, Media International Australia Incorporating Culture and Policy: quarterly journal of media research and resources p119-132
- Cunningham SD, Silver JD, Zhao E, (2010) Section III Chindia screens Chindia: Innovation in online film distribution, Global Media and Communication p302-308
- Silver JD, McDonnell JJ, (2007) Are Movie Theaters Doomed? Do Exhibitors See The Big Picture As Theaters Lose Their Competitive Advantage?, Business Horizons p491-501
- Mills MK, Silver J, (2004) Analysing the effect of digital technology on channel strategy, power and disintermediation in the home video market: The demise of the video store?, Proceedings of the 2004 Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference p1-8
- Silver J, Alpert F, (2003) Digital dawn: A revolution in movie distribution?, Business Horizons p57-66
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.