- Dr Christine Satchell
- Senior Research Fellow
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Design Office,
Interactive and Visual Design
- Discipline *
- Communication and Media Studies, Other Language, Literature and Culture
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Dr Christine Satchell is a Senior Research Fellow with the Urban Informatics Research Lab at Queensland University of Technology. She was recently awarded a Discovery Early Career Researcher Grant (DECRA) to develop mobile technology to enhance personal safety after dark. Dr Satchell’s research is dedicated to understanding the social and cultural nuances of everyday user behavior in order to inform the design of new technology. Integral to this is the development of a methodological approach that embeds cultural theory within HCI.
- Technical Program Chair for Communities and Technology 2013 in Munich
- Associate Chair for CHI 2012 in Austin Texas (along with CHI, CSCW is the premier international conference in the field of the design of new technology)
- Technical Program Chair for Horizon CSCW in China 2011
- Doctoral Consortium Chair for Communities and Technologies in Brisbane 2011
- Technical Program Co-Chair for OZCHI 2008,
- Program Committee for Mobile HCI 2011 Las Vegas
- Program Committee for The Ubiquitous Computing Conference in Tokyo 2005
- Key Note Presenter at Making Links in Sydney 2009.
- OZCHI 2009 Chair: Stephen Viller, Street Computing. Panellists: Margot Brereton, Queensland University of Technology; Paul Dourish, University of California, Irvine; Dan Hill, Arup; Bill Moggridge, IDEO; Christine Satchell, Queensland University of Technology.
- Dr Satchell’s research has been been covered by New Scientist, Wired Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Chanel Ten News, The Project, The Age Yahoo News, Panorama Magazine (Italy), The Buzz on Radio National, JJJ, The Herald Sun, The Australian IT Section, Cosmos Magazine and a feature story in The Weekend Australian Magazine and over 60 Internet blogs such as Gizmodo.
- She published The Essential App Guide: Top 100 Apps, which featured in The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald
- The New Inventors on The ABC did a special on her research into mobile innovation.
- In order to ensure that HCI insights be disseminated beyond the confines of the peer review context Dr Satchell creates and produces tutorials designed to enhance users experience with mobile phones. These are posted on my You Tube Chanel ‘Dangerous Digital’ which is an official You Tube Partner. It has received over 12,677 views. http://youtu.be/H3dlXn5V14M
- QUT Vice Chancellors Award Nominee for sustained and outstanding achievement in the area of ‘Partnerships and Engagement’ 2012.
- QUT Vice Chancellors Award Nominee for sustained and outstanding achievement in the area of ‘Research’ 2011.
- Best Paper Award at ECIS, 2006. Gottenburg, Sweden.
- RMIT ‘Media All Star Award’. October, 2005.
- Ross Dawson Top 100 Web 2.0 application for the Swarm, 2006.
- Receiver of Best Paper Award at OzCHI, 2004.
- Receiver of Best Presentation Award at Telstra Consumer Consultative Council 2004 Annual Forum on Mobile and Wireless Cultures. Sydney, July, 2004.
- Receiver of Best Paper Award at The Annual Smart Internet Technology Conference. Sydney, September, 2003.
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.