- Dr Jennifer Roche
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Media, Entertainment and Creative Arts,
- Discipline *
- Performing Arts and Creative Writing
- +61 7 3138 0945
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD in Dance (University of Roehampton)
Dance, Dancer's perspective, Choreographic practice, Somatics, Creative Practice as Research, Performer Training, Introspective enquiry
Dr Jennifer Roche is a dance artist who has worked as a contemporary dancer since the early 1990s performing with a wide range of choreographers in Ireland and internationally, including Michael Keegan-Dolan (Ire), Janet Smith (UK), Rosemary Butcher (UK), Jodi Melnick (NYC), John Jasperse (NYC), Yoshiko Chuma (NYC) and in work by Dominique Bagouet, re-staged by Les Carnets Bagouet (France). She has danced for Daghdha Dance Company, Dance Theatre of Ireland, Irish Modern Dance Theatre, Cois Ceim and was a founder member of Fabulous Beast Dance Theatre. She co-founded Rex Levitates Dance Company (now Liz Roche Company) with her sister, choreographer Liz Roche in 1999 and has performed extensively with the company, most notably in the Meet in Beijing Festival, China, in 2006 and the Baryshnikov Arts Centre, NYC, in 2011.
In 2001, she completed her Master’s degree in Dance Performance at the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, at the University of Limerick and in 2010 she received her doctoral award from Roehampton University, London. Her thesis title was Moving Identities: Multiplicity, Embodiment and the Contemporary Dancer and her area of research continues to be the dancer’s creative practice within choreographic processes. From 2007 to 2011, she was Dance Adviser to the Arts Council of Ireland/An Chomhairle Ealaíon. She served as a committee member of the Step up: Dance Project, Ireland, a professional development programme for recently graduated contemporary dancers and was project manager of the inaugural year of the programme. She has completed the first stage of her studies an Amatsu practitioner under one of the key teachers of the system in the UK and Ireland, Dennis Bartram and is now a certified Amatsu Anma practitioner. Jenny continues to work as a performer and choreographer. She most recently performed in the film of Body and Forgetting by Liz Roche, which opened the Dublin Dance Festival and was presented at The National Theatre in Dublin in 2013. Her book, Multiplicity, Embodiment and the Contemporary Dancer: Moving Identities was published by Palgrave Macmillan in 2015.
Teaches contemporary dance technique, choreographic studies, partnering, contextualisation of dance and teaching dance.
Units she coordinates: KDB213 Dance Technique Studies 3; KDB111 Performance in Context 1; KDB206 Contextualising Dance in the 21st Century; KDB107 Choreographic Studies 1 and KDB205 Teaching Dance
Prior teaching includes:
2011 to 2013: Lecturer in Dance on the BA Voice and Dance at the University of Limerick, Ireland – teaching Somatics, choreography, contemporary dance technique and narrative approaches to writing.
2001 to 2009: Sessional teacher at the University of Limerick, teaching on the MA in Dance Performance and Graduate Diploma in Dance – teaching choreography, contemporary dance technique and performance practice.
1992 to 2o11: Teaching professional class for various dance companies and organisations including, Fabulous Beast, Irish Modern Dance Theatre, Rex Levitates and Dance Ireland.
- 2007 to 2011 – Dance Advisor to the Arts Council of Ireland. Advising on policy developments, assessing applications and communicating with the dance sector
- 1999 -2007 Co-artistic director and founder of Rex Levitates Dance Company, Dublin (now Liz Roche Company http://www.lizrochecompany.com)
- Dance Artist in Residence International Dance Festival Ireland (2004- 2008)
Dance Projects (performer) 2008 to 2013
- Body and Forgetting (film), choreographed by Liz Roche (Liz Roche Company) performed in Dublin Dance Festival 2012 and the Peacock at the National Theatre, Ireland 2013.
- Shared Material on Dying, choreographed by Liz Roche (Rex Levitates) performed in DancEurope at South Bank Centre, London 2008, Capital Nights Festival, Liverpool 2008, Centre for Movement Research, New York, 2009, Massachusetts Festival of the Arts, Holyoke (US), 2009, Tanzmesse, Dusseldorf, 2011 and Dance Exchange, Birmingham 2013.
- Secondary Sources, choreographed by Liz Roche (Rex Levitates) performed at Baryshnikov Arts Centre, New York, January 2011 as part of Imagine Ireland Festival.
- 12 Minute Dances, choreographed by Liz Roche (Rex Levitates) performed at Centre Culturel Irlandais, Paris, France in October 2010.
- Quintet from 12 Minute Dances, choreographed by Liz Roche (Rex Levitates) performed at Baryshnikov Arts Centre, New York as part of APAP in January 2010.
- Solo³, a solo commission project featuring works by Jodi Melnick (NY), John Jasperse (NY) and Liz Roche (Ireland) co-produced by Dublin Dance Festival for April 2008.
- Suedehead, choreographed by Jodi Melnick for Rex Levitates, performed at the Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin, 2008.
2004 to 2007
- The All Weather Project, choreographed by Liz Roche (Rex Levitates), performed at Centre National Irlandais, Paris 2007 including residency at Centre Nationale de La Danse and Atelier Carolyn Carlson.
- Social Turkey, choreography for short film collaboration with visual artist Ciara Finnegan, for the Ev+A Exhibition, Limerick. Curator: Katerina Gregos 2006. The film also toured Ireland extensively as part of the Noughties but Nice: 21st Century Irish Art exhibition.
- Six Frames- Memories of Two Women, choreographed by Rosemary Butcher, commissioned by Rex Levitates, performed at Project Theatre, Dublin in August 2005.
- SKIN, choreographed a multi-media collaboration with composer Ian Wilson and visual artist Ian Joyce, the CUBE at Project Theatre, Dublin in May 2005.
- Wanderlust Kentucky, choreographed by Jodi Melnick (Maiden Voyage Dance Company, Northern Ireland), performed in the Belfast Festival at Queens, November 2004.
- Resuscitate, choreographed by Liz Roche (Rex Levitates), commission by International Dance Festival, Ireland, performed in Dublin in May 2004.
- Catalyst, choreographed by Liz Roche (Rex Levitates), collaboration with The National Ballet of China, for the Ireland, China Cultural Exchange, performed in Beijing in May 2004.
2001 to 2003
- Adebar/Kubelka, choreographed by Christine Gaigg (2nd Nature), performed in “Viennale 2003” (Vienna International Film Festival) Tanzquartier, Vienna, October 2003.
- Fish and Map, solo choreographic commission by Jodi Melnick (NY), performed in August 2003 in Diversions 2003 -Temple Bar, Dublin.
- Missed/fit, choreographic commission by John Jasperse (NY) (for Irish modern dance theatre) performed in Project Theatre Dublin, and tour of Ireland, October/November 2002.
- Reverse psychology- In Gear, choreographed by Yoshiko Chuma (Daghdha Dance Company), performed in 2Tanz Festival, Tallinn, Estonia and St Petersburg, Russia, August 2001.
- Tripdown, solo work, choreographed Liz Roche (Rex Levitates), performed at Festival De La Nouvelle Danse, Uzès, France, July 2001.
- Roche J, (2015) Multiplicity, embodiment and the contemporary dancer: Moving identities p1-184
- Roche J, (2015) Disorganising principles: Corporeal fragmentation and the possibilities for repair, Attending to movement: Somatic perspectives on living in this world p253-262
- Roche J, Huddy AN, (2015) Creative adaptations: integrating Feldenkrais principles in contemporary dance technique to facilitate the transition into tertiary dance education, Theatre, Dance and Performance Training p145-158
- Smith M, Roche J, (2015) Perceiving the interactive body in dance: Enhancing kinesthetic empathy through art objects, Body, Space and Technology p1-16
- Roche J, (2011) Embodying multiplicity: the independent contemporary dancer's moving identity, Research in Dance Education p105-118
- Roche J, (2007) 'My hands are plunged in oranges'...: an experiential account of a working process, Society of Dance History Scholars Proceedings - Thirtieth Annual Conference p1-7
- Roche J, McLay G, Cooper J, Roche L, Iseli A, O'Donoghue L, Kickham L, Sinead W, Roche D, Fay C, Gilsenan A, Kendrick R, (2012) Body and forgetting, http://www.lizrochecompany.com/work/body.asp
- Roche J, Jasperse J, Roche L, Melnick J, O'Malley K, Mellin J, (2008) Solo3, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDWE0lTOws&list=UUUo-Z0-yD1mmGapccYL4LFw
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.