- Dr Nicola Pritchard
- Research Ethics Coordinator (Human)
Division of Research and Commercialisation,
Office of Research Ethics & Integrity
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Optometry - CDA
- Discipline *
- Optometry and Ophthalmology
- +61 7 3138 2091
- +61 7 3138 1304
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Corneal nerve structure and function as markers of Diabetic (Queensland University of Technology), Bachelor of Applied Science - Optometry (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
Member, British College of Optometry
cornea, diabetic neuropathy
Nicola Pritchard is a Research Associate and Optometrist in the Anterior Eye Laboratory (AEL) at the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI) and the School of Optometry at QUT. Nicola is also the Project Manager for the LANDMark Study.
After graduating in optometry from QIT in 1987, Nicola spent three years in private practice in Australia and the UK. Nicola moved to Canada in 1991 to become a member of the research team at the Centre for Contact Lens Research (CCLR) at the University of Waterloo, then in 2000, at Visioncare Research Ltd in the UK, where she remained until her return to Australia in 2003.
- pre- and post-market contact lens clinical trials
- basic research in the area of cornea and contact lenses
- overseeing large, global, multi-centre regulatory studies.
Her academic activities include supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate student projects, contact lens workshops for undergraduates and ophthalmic practice personnel and peer-review for several ophthalmic journals.
Nicola is a member of the College of Optometrists and the British Contact Lens Association, and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry.
The current focus of the AEL, headed by Professor Nathan Efron, is novel ophthalmic markers for diabetic neuropathy and ocular thermography in vascular disease.
- Pritchard N, Edwards K, Moaven Shahidi A, Sampson G, Russell A, Malik R, Efron N, (2011) Corneal markers of diabetic neuropathy, The Ocular Surface p17-28
- Efron N, Al Dossari M, Pritchard N, (2010) Confocal microscopy of the bulbar conjunctiva in contact lens wear, Cornea: the journal of cornea and external disease p43-52
- Efron N, Edwards KP, Roper N, Pritchard N, Sampson G, Moaven Shahidi A, Vagenas D, Russell AW, Graham J, Dabbah M, Malik R, (2010) Repeatability of measuring corneal subbasal nerve fiber length in individuals with type 2 diabetes, Eye and Contact Lens p245-248
- Efron N, Al Dossari M, Pritchard N, (2009) In Vivo Confocal Microscopy of the Bubar Conjunctiva, Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology p335-344
- Atchison D, Schmid KL, Pritchard N, (2006) Neural and Optical Limits to Visual Performance in Myopia, Vision Research p3707-3722
- Atchison D, Pritchard N, Schmid KL, (2006) Peripheral Refraction Along the Horizontal and Vertical Visual Fields in Myopia, Vision Research p1450-1458
- Atchison D, Pritchard N, White SD, Griffiths AM, (2005) Influence of Age on Peripheral Refraction, Vision Research p715-720
- Atchison D, Pritchard N, Schmid KL, Scott DH, Jones CE, Pope JM, (2005) Shape of the Retinal Surface in Emmetropia and Myopia, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science p2698-2707
- Atchison D, Jones C, Schmid KL, Pritchard N, Pope JM, Strugnell W, Riley R, (2004) Eye Shape in Emmetropia and Myopia, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science p3380-3386
- Pritchard N, Young G, Coleman S, Hunt C, (2003) Subjective and objective measures of corneal staining related to multipurpose care systems, Contact Lens and Anterior Eye p3-9
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Assessment of Retinal Structure and Visual Function in Association with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy (2011)