- Associate Professor Steven Pike
- Associate Professor
QUT Business School,
Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 2702
- +61 7 3138 1811
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD Doctor of Philosophy (University of Waikato)
- Professional memberships
Steven spent 20 years working in the tourism industry, primarily with Destination Marketing Organisations. His research focuses on the relevant challenges faced by tourism marketers, and he has shared his findings via five books and over 100 academic publications. He is a regular speaker at international tourism conferences.
Steven has used a mix of qualitative and quantitative methods in his research, undertaken in New Zealand, Australia, South America, France, Greece, England, and the United Arab Emirates. He is currently leading an investigation into the attractiveness of Dubai as an international stopover destination, with funding from the United Arab Emirates.
In 2017 Steven received two international awards:
- The prestigious ‘Emerald Citation of Excellence Award’ for his 2014 publication with Professor Stephen Page: “Emerald Publishing hereby recognizes this paper as one of the most highly cited and influential papers published in 2014 relating to the areas of Business Management, Finance, Accounting, Economics and Marketing”. Pike, S., & Page, S. (2014). Destination Marketing Organizations and destination marketing: A narrative analysis of the literature. Tourism Management. 41:202-227.
- The 2017 Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Management Highly Commended Paper Award.
Steven has also received two QUT Vice Chancellor’s Performance Excellence Awards, two CQUniversity Research Excellence Awards, and three ‘best research paper’ awards at international conferences.
Destination marketing, Tourism marketing, Brand performance measurment, Marketing research
Steve spent 20 years working in the tourism industry, primarily with Destination Marketing Organisations, before completing a PhD in marketing in 2003. His research focuses on the relevant challenges faced by tourism destination marketers, and he has shared his findings via five books and over 100 academic publications. Steve has served on a number of tourism industry boards, and is a regular speaker at international tourism conferences. Research Interests:
- Destination Marketing
- Brand performance measurement
- Tourism marketing
- Market positioning
- Personal construct psychology
- Tourism marketing
- Marketing research
- PhD, Masters and Honours student supervision
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.