- Professor Kunle Oloyede
- Professor Medical Engineering
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering,
Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Science and Engineering Projects,
IHBI Chem Physics Mech Engineering - IPTM
- Discipline *
- Biomedical Engineering
- +61 7 3138 2158
- +61 7 3138 1516
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (Imperial College, London), MSc (Cranfield Institute of Technology), Graduate Certificate in Education - Higher Education (Queensland University of Technology), BSc(MechEng)(Hons) (University of Lagos), DIC (Imperial College, London)
Articular cartilage biomechanics, Orthopaedics, Osteoarthritis, Replacement materials, Soft tissue biomechanics
Area of Focus: Orthopaedics and Trauma
Professor Oloyede is a world renown expert in the biomechanics of articular cartilage, where he has contributed significantly to innovations advancing understanding in the area of research; e.g. he,
- developed the consolidation mechanics-based approach to cartilage testing and the first tissue consolidometer that is used in research groups around the world to study cartilage fluid and load-carriage mechanisms non-invasively.
- has published over 100 papers, some of which have attracted citation in important references like GRAY’s anatomy and the Bibliography of current opinions in orthopaedics.
- has been co-inventor of 6 intellectual properties, some of which are currently used in industry.
- has attracted over $7M in research grants with $4M from ARC, NHMRC and biomedical and orthopaedic industries in the last 10 years.
- is the developer of the new overlay element for finite element analysis of mixed biochemical and biomechanical responses of loaded articular cartilage.
Areas of expertise
- articular cartilage biomechanics
- soft tissue biomechanics
- materials and biomaterials (permanent scaffold)
- experimental, mathematical and finite element modelling of biomechanical systems.
- 2007 – present: Professor – QUT, School of Engineering Systems
- 2003 – 2007: Associate Professor – QUT, School of Engineering Systems
- 1997 – 2003: Senior Lecturer – QUT, School of Engineering Systems
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.