- Professor Kunle Oloyede
- Professor Medical Engineering
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering,
Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- IHBI Member
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Science and Engineering Projects,
IHBI Chem Physics Mech Engineering - Medical Devic
- Discipline *
- Biomedical Engineering
- +61 7 3138 2158
- +61 7 3138 1516
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (Imperial College, London), MSc (Cranfield Institute of Technology), BSc(MechEng)(Hons) (University of Lagos), DIC (Imperial College, London)
Articular cartilage biomechanics, Orthopaedics, Osteoarthritis, Replacement materials, Soft tissue biomechanics
Area of Focus: Orthopaedics and Trauma
Professor Oloyede is a world renown expert in the biomechanics of articular cartilage, where he has contributed significantly to innovations advancing understanding in the area of research; e.g. he,
- developed the consolidation mechanics-based approach to cartilage testing and the first tissue consolidometer that is used in research groups around the world to study cartilage fluid and load-carriage mechanisms non-invasively.
- has published over 100 papers, some of which have attracted citation in important references like GRAY’s anatomy and the Bibliography of current opinions in orthopaedics.
- has been co-inventor of 6 intellectual properties, some of which are currently used in industry.
- has attracted over $7M in research grants with $4M from ARC, NHMRC and biomedical and orthopaedic industries in the last 10 years.
- is the developer of the new overlay element for finite element analysis of mixed biochemical and biomechanical responses of loaded articular cartilage.
Areas of expertise
- articular cartilage biomechanics
- soft tissue biomechanics
- materials and biomaterials (permanent scaffold)
- experimental, mathematical and finite element modelling of biomechanical systems.
- 2007 – present: Professor – QUT, School of Engineering Systems
- 2003 – 2007: Associate Professor – QUT, School of Engineering Systems
- 1997 – 2003: Senior Lecturer – QUT, School of Engineering Systems
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.