- Mr John O'Brien
- Associate Lecturer
Faculty of Law,
- Discipline *
- Other Law and Legal Studies
- +61 7 3138 7093
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
GradDipEd(Sec) (Australian Catholic Uni), LLB(Hons) (Griffith University), BCom(Hons) (Griffith University)
- Professional memberships
- Committee Member – Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association (Qld Chapter)
- Member – Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association
- Registered Teacher – Queensland College of Teachers
Sports Law, School and Education Law, Statutory Interpretation
- John graduated from Griffith University with a LLB (hons) and B Com (hons). His thesis for his Commerce honours was a critical analysis of ‘insider trading’ provisions in corporate law.
- He worked at Griffith for 2 years, before returning to study Secondary Education. He taught at a boys’ high school in Brisbane.
- John began working at QUT in 2008, in the Faculty of Business, School of Accountancy.
- He commenced in the School of Law in 2011, and has taught primarily in first-year units of Legal Foundations, Contracts and Torts. He designed and teaches the undergraduate elective unit, Sports Law. He has also assisted with the School’s placement units, Legal Clinic and Learning In Professional Practice.
- John’s ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-5468-4466
- Due to his experience as a school teacher, plus more recent experience as a supervisor in a school boarding house, and 15 years of sports coaching, John is interested in legal issues in education and sport.
- He has commenced PhD study on a regulatory analysis of school truancy.
- Along with Catherine Campbell, John delivered the LOAR Program (Learning Our Adult Responsibilities), which was a legal awareness program presented to numerous Year 11 & 12 students in Brisbane.
- John has been an Executive Committee member of the Qld Chapter of ANZELA since 2012.
- He has been the staff member on the School of Law’s ‘Student-Staff Liason Committee’ since 2013.
- He commenced in the new role, ‘Student Success Coordinator’ for the School of Law in 2016.
John’s currently teaches the following units in the LLB
- Introduction to Law (first-year core unit)
- Legal Problems and Communication (first-year core unit)
- Sports Law (general elective)
He has previously taught the following units:
- Business Law and Ethics (B Business first-year core unit)
- Company Law (Accountancy core unit)
- Introduction to Law (B Entertainment Industries)
- Legal Clinic
- Learning in Professional Practice
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.