- Dr David Megarrity
- Senior Lecturer in Drama
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Creative Practice,
- Discipline *
- Performing Arts and Creative Writing, Other Studies in Creative Arts and Writing
- +61 7 3138 3247
- +61 7 3138 3975
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology), Master (Queensland University of Technology)
composed Theatre, Collaboration, Drama, Music
- Dr David Megarrity is an academic, writer, composer, musician and performer. He teaches, researches and creates at the intersection of music, performance and projected image.
- Senior Lecturer in Drama in the School of Creative Practice, he received the Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence (Innovative and Creative Practice). He specialises in teaching theatre and performance making, with a special interest in collaboration and interdisciplinary projects.
- His research is focussed on practice-led projects in the mode of Composed Theatre, and post-graduate supervisions include playwriting projects and interdisciplinary practice. Recipient of a Lord Mayor’s Performing Arts Fellowship, his performance inventions include Backseat Drivers and Show (Queensland Theatre), Ukulele Mekulele (La Boite), Lily Can’t Sleep (A collaboration with DeBase) and The Empty City and Bear with Me for Metro Arts and Windmill.
- His works have played at the Sydney Opera House, around Australia and abroad. Publications include plays for young people such as Gate 38 and anthology Destinations (Playlab). He’s been finalist in the George Landen Dann Award Inscriptions Edward Albee Scholarship and Rodney Seaborn Playwrights Award
- Picture book The Empty City (Hachette) was selected by the Children’s Book Council of Australia as a Picture Book of the Year ‘Notable Book’ (2008). His stage adaptation was a finalist in the 2012/3 Queensland Theatre Company’s Queensland Premier’s Drama Award and premiered at the Brisbane Powerhouse in 2013.
- Having played in many bands and composed songs and soundtracks for stage, screen and radio David has released 13 albums of original music in various audio incarnations. Recent music-driven performances include faux folk duo Warmwaters, “the surprise hit of the Queensland Cabaret Festival” (Brisbane Times 2014), and Tyrone and Lesley (Twice finalist in the Queensland Music Awards) whose cabaret Tyrone and Lesley in a Spot played the Brisbane Powerhouse in 2016. David’s short film collaborations won a number of awards and nominations, including Official Selection Cannes International Film Festival 2000.
David has designed and taught a range of units within Creative Industries. Current or upcoming units include KTB216: Interpretation, focussed on text-based performance; KTB226: Transformation, focussed on collaboratively created performance and KTB316: Generation, focussed on research and creative development of new performance.
Having been published, produced, programmed and performed across music, theatre, film, television and children’s literature, David has specialized in teaching creative practice units. His industry experience in a many roles, from teacher to writer, to director, to performer, to composer, to independent producer enables him to apply expertise and versatility to his teaching portfolio, which has seen him master the teaching of elements of drama, playwriting, community cultural development, theatre history, Work Integrated Learning and much else.
- Megarrity DR, (2015) Destinations: 3 Large Cast Plays for Young People, http://www.playlab.org.au/index.php/publications/shop/destinations-hardcopy-collection-detail
- Megarrity DR, Boyle BC, Heaton G, (2015) Warmwaters, Queensland Cabaret Festival 2015, Brisbane Powerhouse; 12 June 2015
- Megarrity DR, Fenton DR, Lucas B, Pittman R, (2015) De Profundis (Theatre Soundtrack), Visy Theatre, Brisbane Powerhouse, 22 April - 02 May 2015
- Megarrity DR, Vincent S, Futcher M, (2014) Gentlemen Songsters, 13 June 2014, Brisbane Powerhouse
- Megarrity DR, Fenton DR, Monsour L, Oxlade J, Stibbard L, (2013) The Empty City (production), http://metroarts.com.au/posts/the-empty-city/
- Megarrity DR, Vincent S, Balodis J, Futcher M, (2012) Bear With Me, http://metroarts.com.au/posts/bear-with-me/
- Megarrity DR, (2008) Together Alone: Balancing sole authorship and collaborative approaches to performance making p1-112
- Megarrity DR, (2007) Gate 38, Australian Script Centre
- Megarrity DR, (2003) Show, Sydney Opera House
- Megarrity DR, (2002) Ukelele Medulele, La Boit Theatre
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Masters by Research)
- What feels true?: Sifitng through Belongings (2012)
- 'indig-curious. The challenge for non-Indigenous performers in accessing Indigenous culture and ideas in theatrical forms' (2010)
- But What I Really Want to do is Write: Adapting the Mike Leigh Method for Writers for the stage (2009)
- Drama and the Dreaming (2009)
- Myth-Making in the Great South Land: the creation of large-scale personas in small-scale stories (2008)
- The Collaborative Impact: Writing a Play with the Collaboration of Actors (2008)
- "The Space Between" Representing 'Youth' on the Contemporary Australian Stage (2006)