- Dr Andrew McGee
Faculty of Law,
- Discipline *
- Law, Other Law and Legal Studies
- +61 7 3138 1100
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (University of Essex), Masters Of Law (Queensland University of Technology), BA(Modern Languages:Italian/French) (University of Lancaster), LLB(Hons 1) (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
- 2006: admitted to practice as an Australian Legal Practitioner
Dr Andrew McGee joined QUT in August 2010 as a lecturer in the School of Law and is an active member of the Health Law Research Centre in the Faculty of Law. Before joining QUT, Dr McGee completed a post-doctoral research fellowship in philosophy at University College Dublin in 2001, and then worked as a lawyer for Allens Arthur Robinson and for the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel, Brisbane. His research interests are:
- end-of-life decision making
- the ethics of stem cell research
- philosophy of law, especially Hart and Dworkin
- law of contract.
He has published articles in leading international medical law and ethics journals on palliative care, withholding and withdrawing life-prolonging measures and euthanasia, organ donation and the ethics of abortion:
- ‘Acting to Let Someone Die’ (2013) Bioethics (forthcoming).
- ‘Is Providing Elective Ventilation in the Best Interests of Potential Donors?’ (with Prof B White) (2013) 39(3) Journal of Medical Ethics 135 doi:10.1136/medethics-2012-100991.
- ‘The Moral Status of Babies’ (2013) 39(5) Journal of Medical Ethics 345.
- ‘Intention, Foresight, and Ending Life: A Response to Foster, Herring, Melham and Hope’ (2013) 22(1) Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics 77.
- ‘Omissions, Causation and Responsibility: A Reply to Coggon and McLachlan’ (2011) 8(4) Journal of Bioethical Inquiry. ERA ranked A. DOI: 10.1007/s11673-011-9330-2.
- ‘Ending the Life of the Act/Omission Dispute: Causation in Withholding and Withdrawing Life-Sustaining Measures’ (2011) 31(3) Legal Studies: Journal of the Society of Legal Scholars 467. ERA ranked A*.
- ‘Me and My Body: The Relevance of the Distinction for the Difference between Withdrawing Life Support and Euthanasia’ (2011) 39(4) Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 671.
- ‘Defending the Sanctity of Life Principle: A Reply to John Keown’ (2011) 18 Journal of Law and Medicine 820. ERA ranked A.
- ‘Is Dawkins a Modern Day Nicodemus?’ (2011) LV (4) Quadrant.
- ‘When Does Pain Relief Hastening Death Become Killing (2011) 20(3) Transplant Journal of Australasia. Guest Editorial.
- ‘Finding a Way Through the Ethical and Legal Maze: Withdrawal of Medical Treatment and Euthanasia’ (2005) 13(3) Medical Law Review 357. ERA ranked A.
- ‘Double Effect in the Criminal Code 1899 (Qld): A Critical Appraisal’ (2004) 4(1) Queensland University of Technology Law and Justice Journal 46. ERA ranked C.
- ‘Bloody Pell!! Q&A stoush between Dawkins and Pell fails to bridge the gap between faith and science’ The Conversation 13 April 2012.
- ‘There’s no good argument for infanticide’ The Conversation 2 March 2012, republished on the Journal of Medical Ethics website and on University of Oxford’s Practical Ethics website on 5 March 2012.
- ‘Finding the Balance in South Australia’s Euthanasia Legislation’ The Conversation 28 September 2011.
- ‘The Long Road to Legalising Euthanasia in South Australia’ The Conversation 7 April 2011.
- ‘Defining Euthanasia’ On Line Opinion 1 July 2010.
- ‘Inherent Defects and the Repair Covenant in Commercial Leases’ (2007) 7(2) Queensland University of Technology Law and Justice Journal 325. ERA ranked C.
Units currently taught
- McGee A, (2011) Me and my body: the relevance of the difference for the distinction between withdrawing life support and euthanasia, Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics p671-677
- McGee AJ, (2011) Finding the balance in South Australia's euthanasis legislation, The Conversation p1-2
- McGee A, (2011) Omissions, causation, and responsibility - A reply to McLachlan and Coggon, Journal of Bioethical Inquiry p351-361
- McGee AJ, (2011) The long road to legalising euthanasia in South Australia, The Conversation p1-2
- McGee AJ, (2011) Is Dawkins a modern-day Nicodemus?, Quadrant p96-101
- McGee AJ, (2011) Defending the sanctity of life principle: A reply to John Keown, Journal of Law and Medicine p820-834
- McGee AJ, (2011) Ending the life of the act/omission dispute: causation in withholding and withdrawing life-sustaining measures, Legal Studies p467-491
- McGee AJ, (2010) Defining Euthanasia, On Line Opinion -Australia's e-journal of social and political debate p1-2
- McGee A, (2004) Double effect in the Criminal Code 1899 (Qld): A critical appraisal, Queensland University of Technology Law and Justice Journal p46-57
- McGee A, (2005) Finding a way through the ethical and legal maze: Withdrawal of medical treatment and euthanasia , Medical Law Review p357-385
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.