- Dr Fiona McDonald
- Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Law,
- Discipline *
- Law, Applied Ethics, Policy and Administration
- +61 7 3138 2010
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
JSD - Doctoral in Science (Dalhousie University Canada), Master of Laws (Dalhousie University Canada)
- Professional memberships
- Member of the Australian Centre for Health Law Research
- Member of Dalhousie University’s Technoscience and Regulation Research Unit.
health governance, health professional regulation, health systems law and policy, health workforce governance, organisational ethics, patient safety, rural bioethics, rural health, ACHLR
Fiona is a Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Law at Queensland University of Technology. Fiona is also an Adjunct Associate Professor at the Department of Bioethics, Dalhousie University, Canada. Fiona is a member of the Australian Centre for Health Law Research. She is also a member of Dalhousie University’s Technoscience and Regulation Research Unit. Prior to her appointment Fiona was a research associate at the Health Law Institute at Dalhousie University, Canada and a legal advisor to New Zealand’s Health and Disability Commissioner. Fiona’s research encompasses issues related to health governance and has four broad themes:
- the governance of health institutions and systems (with a focus on rural bioethics)
- the governance of health research and health technologies
- the governance of health professionals
- the governance of patient safety.
Fiona’s work has been published in a range of international journals, she has presented at a number of international conferences, and she has received grants, contracts and scholarships to conduct research in this area. Research interests
- Health governance
- Health systems law and policy
- Patient safety
- National Health and Medical Research Council (2013-2018) $2.5 million Centre for Research Excellence in End-of-Life Care, (P Yates, G Mitchell, D. Currow, K. Eagar, H. Edwards, G. Gardner, L. Willmott, A. Bonner, R. Clark, J Tieman, (CIs), McCaffrey, Johnson, Beattie, McCarthy, Broom, White, McDonald (AIs)).
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research Operating Grant (2011-2016) $442,066 (CD) Articulating Standards: translating the practices of standardizing health technologies (Professor J. Graham, Dalhousie University (PI), Professor R. Darnell, University of Western Ontario, Dr C. Holmes, CNRS Centre National de la Recherché Scientique, France; Dr M. Jones, ECHO: Women’s Health, and Dr F. McDonald, Queensland University of Technology.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research Meetings, Planning and Dissemination Grant: Health Services and Policy Research (2010) $17,000 (CD) Articulating Standards and Practices of Health Regulation: A Grant Writing Workshop (J. Graham (P.I), R Darnell, C Holmes, M Jones, F McDonald, V Ozdemir, C. Stephens)
- Australia Indonesia Governance Research Partnership (2009) $61,720 Evidence-Based Decision Making to Reform Governance at the District Level: The Case of Nutritional Policies, Programs and Interventions in Bantul and Gunungkidul (F. McDonald & A. Yoganingrum (PIs), F. Purwaningrum, D. Ariani)
Units currently taught
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Intention to migrate to Australia: a mixed-method study of Indian physicians and nurses (2016)
- Still Waiting: Is It Time to Empower Patients with an Enforceable Right to Timely Elective Surgery? (2016)
- A values analysis of attitudes towards the use of law to prevent obesity: How might these values inform public health law theory and practice? (2015)
- The Governance of human resources in the Vietnamese healthcare system: A critical analysis of maternity services (2015)