- Dr Sean Maher
- Senior Lecturer (Documentary)
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Creative Practice,
Film, Screen & Animation
- Discipline *
- Film, Television and Digital Media
- +61 7 3138 8218
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Ph.D. (Queensland University of Technology), Masters (University of New South Wales)
- Professional memberships
- Steering Committee AHRC funded Filmmaking Research Network
- Board Member, Cinema Ventures
- Sean Maher is Senior Lecturer in the Film, Screen & Animation Discipline in the Creative Industries Faculty at QUT. He received an Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship for his PhD conducted in QUT’s ARC Centre of Excellence for Innovation in the Creative Industries.
- In the latter half of 2017 I will be a Scholar-in-Residence at the UCLA Film and TV Archives. My research at the Archives will contribute to my monograph on film noir and Los Angeles to be published by Routledge in 2018.
- Since 2015 I have been conducting the annual Film, Screen & Animation, Los Angeles – Entertainment Capital of the World Study Tour, in partnership with School of Theatre, Film and TV at UCLA. The two week tour provides QUT film and television students with exclusive access to UCLA sponsored masterclass sessions with Hollywood professionals, VIP tour of Paramount Studios, and networking and information sessions with YouTube Studios Los Angeles, American Society of Cinematographers, Australians in Film and AusFilm.
- I am currently on the a Steering Committee of a British Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Grant investigating filmmaking based research.
- In 2013 I was President of ASPERA (Australian Screen Production Education and Research Association), the national peak body for Film Schools.
- Prior to being appointed at QUT I have held research and lecturing positions at the Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS) and University of New South Wales.
- I have been a media policy researcher at the Communications Law Centre (UNSW) and an award-winning independent filmmaker, producing, writing and directing short films, documentaries and corporates.
- In 2010 my PhD film, The Brisbane Line, received official selection into the Brisbane International Film Festival. In 2012 I wrote and directed a documentary on Queensland Parliament House distributed across Fairfax Digital’s Brisbane Times, Sydney Morning Herald, and The Age websites.
- I have contributed feature articles for Sydney Film Festival and worked as a film festival organiser for New York Anthology Film Archives.
- Unit Coordinator Advanced Production (Documentary)
- Tour Convenor, Los Angeles Filmed Entertainment Capital of the World Study Tour
2017 Scholar in Residence at UCLA Film and Television Archives, UCLA School of Theatre, Film & Television
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Documentary Pitching, Pre-sales and Funding: Succeeding in a Transforming Digital Landscape (2017)
- The Education Market for Documentary Film: Digital Shifts in an Age of Content Abundance (2016)
- Maintaining our rage: inside Australia's longest-running music video program (2015)
- International Acclaim: The Role(s) of the International Film Festival in Supporting Emerging Women's Cinema (2013)
- The Australian Beachspace: Flagging the Spaces of Australian Beach Texts (2013)