- Adjunct Professor Sue Grieshaber
- Adjunct Professor
Faculty of Education,
School of Early Childhood and Inclusive Education
- Discipline *
- Education Systems, Curriculum and Pedagogy, Specialist Studies in Education
- +61 7 3138 3173
- +61 7 3138 3989
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (James Cook Uni. of North Qld), MEd (University of Queensland), B Ed (University of Queensland), DipT (Mt. Gravatt C.A.E)
- Professional memberships
- Australian Curriculum Studies Association (ACSA, 1993-2010)
- Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE, 1994-1998; 2001-2010)
- Early Childhood Australia (ECA, 2000-2010)
- Early Childhood Teachers’ Association (ECTA, 1977- 2010)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA, 1995-2010)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC, 2004-2010)
Early childhood curriculum, Early childhood education and gender, Early childhood policy, Equity and diversity in early childhood curriculum, Families, Young children and technologies
Sue Grieshaber’s research interests include
- early childhood curriculum
- gender and families, wiith a focus on equity and diversity.
She has published widely in a range of areas that reflect her research interests and co-edits the international, refereed online journal Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood.
She is on the editorial board of the Global Studies of Childhood, Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, the Asia-Pacific Journal of Research in Early Childhood Education and is a consulting editor for the Early Childhood Research Quarterly.
Sue has interests in a variety of theoretical perspectives including critical, feminist and postmodern theories, and uses these in her research and teaching. She has strong international links and has taught, published and presented with a variety of colleagues from overseas universities.
Sue taught in schools for fourteen years before moving to the tertiary sector. She has extensive undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience and has supervised PhD, Masters by Research and Honours theses to successful completion in a broad range of areas including
- policy studies
- teachers enacting new curricula
- child care workers
- parent participation
- leadership in early childhood education
- the social regulation of young children’s bodies in care settings.
- 2010: Grieshaber, S. & Casley, M. Parental perceptions of play. Communities for Children initiative in Logan city. ($22,000).
- 2008-2009: Member, Charles Sturt University led consortium that developed Belonging, Being & Becoming: The Early Years Learning Framework for Australia (Commonwealth of Australia, 2009) including case study of one trial site in Queensland (total consultancy $600,000).
- 2009: Grieshaber, S. Hong Kong Institute of Education. Expert advice re journal ranking exercise.
- 2009: Grieshaber, S. Hong Kong Institute of Education. External Reviewer of Proposal on New Area of Study in EdD Programme.
- 2008: Grieshaber, S. Queensland Studies Authority Advice and Guidelines about Assessment for Classroom teachers Project. ($3,600).
- 2006-2008: Grieshaber, S. Intercultural Investigations. LOTE (Languages Other than English) Centre, Education Queensland. ($12,000).
- 2007: Grieshaber, S. Australian Academy of Science, Canberra. Evaluation of Science Unit for the first year of schooling. ($1,000).
- 2004-2003: Team leader (curriculum and pedagogy), Queensland Early Childhood Consortium Evaluating the Trial of the Queensland Preparatory Year ($350,000).
- 2002: Grieshaber, S. Issues paper on the inclusion of family perspectives in gender.
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.