- Dr Charmaine Glavas
QUT Business School,
Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 1001
- +61 7 3138 1811
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology)
- Professional memberships
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Review of International Business and Strategy
- Fellow, The Higher Education Academy
- The Academy of International Business (AIB)
- Women in the Academy of International Business (WAIB)
- The Australia and New Zealand International Business Academy (ANZIBA)
- The Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research (ACE)
- The Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC)
International Business, Firm Internationalisation, International Entrepreneurship, Export Behaviour, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs), Technology Integration, Internet Marketing Capabilities, International Marketing, Emotions, Emotion Regulation
Dr Charmaine Glavas is a Lecturer of International Business at the QUT Business School. Dr Glavas has also completed her Bachelor of Business (International Business) and Bachelor of Business (Hons) at the QUT Business School. Dr Glavas holds a PhD, and a Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice (Higher Education Academy). Previously, Dr Glavas worked as a Lecturer of International Business at the University of the Sunshine Coast; within this role, Dr Glavas was appointed as the Discipline Leader for international business. Dr Glavas has published her research in top tier international journals, including; International Business Review, Educational Research Review, Journal of International Entrepreneurship, International Journal of Tourism Research, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development and Journal of International Business Education. She is an is an Editorial Advisory Board Member for the Review of International Business and Strategy. Dr Glavas has also published her work in domestic and international conferences, receiving ‘Best Paper’ awards. Dr Glavas is an active researcher within the international business discipline, her research focuses on advancing understanding of small entrepreneurial high technology firms, in the domains of international business and international entrepreneurship. Her research aims to advance strategies for business growth in technology-driven environments, transcending domestic borders. Dr Glavas is a mixed-methodologist, with particular proficiency in qualitative methodologies, specifically, multiple case study inquiry and NVIVO analysis. Previously, Dr Glavas has examined firm performance of small high technology firms through the use of structural equation modelling (AMOS); the findings extended models of firm internationalisation. Dr Glavas is interested in pursuing further research on the impact of technology on firm start-up and internationalisation behaviour, and also in examining how individual level traits of an entrepreneur, such as personality and emotion influence decision-making.
- Real World Internships and Projects
- Global Business
- Marketing Internationally
- Bridging Cultures
Previous academic appointments
- Lecturer, International Business (University of the Sunshine Coast)
- Discipline Leader of International Business (University of the Sunshine Coast)
- Mathews SW, Bianchi C, Perks KJ, Chen H, Glavas C, (2015) The impact of Internet marketing capabilities on international network capability, a cross country study comparison between Australia, Chile and Taiwan internationalised SMEs, Proceedings of the 2015 Australia and New Zealand International Business Academy (ANZIBA) Conference p1
- Glavas CR, Mathews SW, (2015) The influence of technology-mediated environments on international business experience for internationalisation: Does international experience matter?, Proceedings of the 19th McGill International Entrepreneurship Conference p49
- Glavas CR, Mathews SW, (2014) How international entrepreneurship characteristics influence Internet capabilities for the international business processes of the firm, International Business Review p228-245
- Glavas CR, Pike SD, Mathews SW, (2014) Internet-enabled tourism entrepreneurs: International entrepreneurial values elicited through repertory test and laddering analysis, International Journal of Tourism Research p44-55
- Russell-Bennett R, Russell K, Previte J, Glavas CR, Hartel C, Smith G, (2014) The role of other people and emotion for blood donation: An altruistic social service, Services Marketing in the New Economic and Social Landscape: AMA SERVSIG 2014 - International Service Research Conference Proceedings p8-13
- Glavas CR, (2013) Establishing international networks: The internationalisation of Calleija Jewellers and their partnership with the exclusive Aston Martin, International Marketing: An Asia-Pacific Perspective [6th Ed.] p664-667
- Glavas CR, (2013) The sweet aroma of success: Modification of products for new markets in the case of TORQ by Di Bella Coffee, International Marketing : An Asia-Pacific Perspective [6th ed.] p680-683
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Awards and recognition
- Editorial Role for an Academic Journal
- Reference year
- Dr Glavas serves as a key Editorial Advisory Board member for the Review of International Business and Strategy. The journal publishes high quality peer-reviewed research articles related to international business and global strategy.
- Academic Honours, Prestigious Awards or Prizes
- Reference year
- Dr Glavas has been awarded the prestigious national ANZMAC award for Emerging Marketing Educator of the year (2016). The award is presented by the Academy to the person judged to have demonstrated outstanding contribution and excellence in learning and teaching in marketing.
- Funding Award
- Reference year
- Dr Glavas was awarded the QUT Vice-Chancellors Performance Award in recognition of a significant and superior contribution to the work of the university.
- Reference year
- Fellow - Higher Education Academy. The Higher Education Academy (HEA) is an international organization which promotes excellence in teaching and learning.