- Dr Megan Gibson
- Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Education,
- Discipline *
- Other Education, Specialist Studies in Education
- +61 7 3138 8092
- +61 7 3138 3989
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Doctor of Philosophy (Queensland University of Technology), M Ed (Queensland University of Technology), B Ed (EC) (The University of Melbourne), Dip T (EC) (Brisbane College of Adv. Ed.)
- Professional memberships
- Reggio Emilia Australian Information Exchange (REAIE)
- Social Justice in Early Childhood (SJIEC)
- Early Childhood Australia (ECA)
- Queensland Early Childhood Environmental Education Network (QECEEN)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
child care, early childhood education, preservice teacher education, professional identities
BackgroundMegan Gibson is a lecturer in the School of Early Childhood. Megan’s key areas of teaching and research interest are
- teacher professionalism
- leadership and management
- children, families and communities.
As an early childhood educator, with some 20 years of teaching experience, she has worked across a range of diverse early childhood contexts. These include
- lower primary
- long day care.
In her most recent role, as the Director of Campus Kindergarten, University of Queensland, Megan led this unique community through significant organisational evolution. Notable elements of this change were in the areas of education for sustainability, the arts, pedagogical documentation and organisational structure. Megan’s doctoral research focuses on the production and maintenance of early childhood teachers’ professional identities. This study provides understandings about teachers’ professional identities and career choices, particularly around child care.
Megan brings her experiences from teaching in a range of early childhood contexts, as well as her research focus, to her teaching. She has worked across a number of undergraduate units, including as unit co-ordinator in
- EAB006 Leadership and management in early childhood services
- EAB017 The early childhood professional
- EAB130 Negotiating the curriculum
- EAB002 Early childhood foundations 2: Families and childhood
- EDB013 Early childhood field studies 3: Diversity and inclusivity
- EAB021 Early childhood health, safety, nutrition and wellness.
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.