This person does not currently hold a position at QUT.
- Professor Chris Eves
- Discipline *
- Commercial Services, Building, Urban and Regional Planning
- +61 7 3138 9112
- +61 7 3138 1170
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Western Sydney)
- Professional memberships
Broad area of research: Infrastructure
Main areas of research
- Investment performance of property assets, with a focus on rural property and timberland. This research covers the major agricultural land markets of Australia, New Zealand, UK, US and Canada.
- Housing market research with a strong emphasis on value determinants and residential property affordability and capital return performance.
- Impact of natural disasters on property markets and property values, especially in relation to flooding and bushfires.
- Sustainable property and added value of “green” housing and property attributes, and sustainable rural property development and management.
- Real estate agency and valuation practice from both an Australian and international perspective, with a strong focus on methodology and accuracy.
- Business valuation practice and methodologies.
- 2008: “Developing a New Zealand Rural Land Investment Performance Index”
- 2008: “Market acceptance and perceived added value of “green” residential houses and units”
- 2007: With Brent Nahkies. “Overview of heritage buildings in Christchurch: Earthquake issues”
- 2003: “Assessing the investment performance of rural land in Australia”
- 2002: With Graeme Newell. “Developing a NSW rural property investment index”
- 1997: With Peter Wills ”Private use of public land”
- 1996: “Changes in rural land use and performance in central NSW”
Selected list of awarded grants
- 2004: The development and implementation of income valuation methods for rural valuation practice
Awards and recognitions
- 2008: Property Institute of New Zealand Academic Award
- 2004: Australian Property Institute. Voluntary Service Award
- 2004: Peter Barrington Gold Medal Award. This is a national and the most prestigious award given by the Australian Property Institute for the best property research thesis undertaken in Australia
- 1999: University of Western Sydney-Hawkesbury, Faculty of Management, “New Researcher” award
- 1999: Peter Barrington Gold Medal Award. This is a national and the most prestigious award given by the Australian Property Institute for the best property research thesis undertaken in Australia.
- Jul 2006 – Feb 2009: Professor of Property Studies, Head of Group, Lincoln University
- Jan 2006 – Jul 2006: Associate Head of School, Economics and Finance, University of Western Sydney
- 2001 – 2005: Senior Lecturer in Property and Valuation-University of Western Sydney. Head of Program (Property) for the period 2001-2005
- 1993 – 2000: Lecturer in Property and Valuation-University of Western Sydney. Course Co-ordinator (Internal 1996-2000)
- 1992 – 1993: Credit Administrator Rural. This position involved the credit decision and prudential controls on the State Bank’s retail and corporate rural portfolios.
- 1991 – 1992: Regional Agribusiness Manager-South West region State Bank of NSW
- 1978 – 1990: State Bank of NSW, Valuation Department with positions from Assistant Valuer to Regional Valuer.
- Rural property valuation
- Property economics
- Valuation of residential, industrial, commercial and specialist property
- Property portfolio and asset management
- Property market analysis
- Business valuation
- Research methods.
Interests and community service
Editorial board/referee panel appointments
- Australian Land Economics Review
- Pacific Rim Property Research Journal
- Australian Journal of Construction Economics and Building
- Australian and New Zealand Property Journal (Editor Academic Refereed Paper section)
- Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors – Research Series
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors “Roots Conference” Scientific panel
- International Editor, Malaysian Journal of Real Estate
External board and committee appointments
- 2009-2011: Visiting Professor, University Technology Malaysia
- 2005-2008: RICS External Examiner. University of South Australia
- 2005-2008: RICS External Examiner. Queensland University of Technology
- 2007, 2008, 2009: Secretary Pacific Rim Real Estate Society
- 2006: Treasurer Pacific Rim Real estate Society
- 2005, 2006: EPSRC International Network on Flood Damage and Repair
- 2004, 2005, 2006: Director Pacific Rim Real Estate Society.
- Eves C, (2010) NSW rural land performance: 1990-2008, Australasian Agribusiness Review p85-102
- Eves C, (2009) Assessing the impact of streetscape on residential property in lower to middle socio-economic areas, Proceedings of the 16th Annual European Real Estate Society Conference p1
- Eves C, Kippes S, (2010) Public awareness of 'green' and 'energy efficient' residential property: An empirical survey based on data from New Zealand, Property Management p193-208
- Nartea G, Eves C, (2010) Role of farm real estate in a globally diversified asset portfolio, Journal of Property Investment and Finance p198-220
- Eves C, (2009) Residential property market performance in a declining market: Christchurch case study, Australia and New Zealand Property Journal p226-233
- Eves C, (2007) Planned residential community developments: do they add value?, Property Management p164-179
- Painter M, Eves C, (2008) The financial gains from adding farmland to an international investment portfolio, Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management p63-74
- Nartea G, Eves C, (2008) Diversification benefits from New Zealand real estate, Pacific Rim Property Research Journal p27-43
- Eves C, Painter M, (2008) A comparison of farmland returns in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and United States, Australian and New Zealand Property Journal p588-598
- Newell G, Eves C, (2009) The role of U.S. timberland in real estate portfolios, Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management p95-106
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.