- Dr Jared Donovan
- Lecturer in Interaction Design
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Design Office,
Interactive and Visual Design
- Discipline *
- Other Built Environment and Design, Design Practice and Management, Information Systems
- +61 7 3138 3135
- +61 7 3138 8116
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (University of Queensland)
Interaction Design, Gesture Interaction, Tangible Interaction, Embodied Interaction, Human-Computer Interaction, Participatory Design, User-Centred Design, Participatory Innovation, Design Anthropology
Dr Jared Donovan is a lecturer and researcher in Interaction Design in the Creative Industries Faculty at the Queensland University of Technology. He has a background in Illustration and Information Technology.
Research Interests I’m interested in finding better ways of interacting with interactive technologies with the goal of making them easier to use, more enjoyable and more respecting of people’s abilities for skilled physical movement. In particular, I’ve investigated the use of gesture as a way for people to interact with computer interfaces without the need for keyboards and mice.
I am also keenly interested in finding better ways to involve people in the design process, such as by involving stakeholders as active co-designers. Before joining QUT, I worked for four years at the SPIRE centre for Participatory Innovation at the University of Southern Denmark where I researched the use of ‘provotypes’ (provocative prototypes) to spark discussion and debate. I also co-edited Design and Anthropology, published by Ashgate.
- Ars Electronica Futurelab Academy: A special project where students are mentored by international researchers from the Ars Electronica Futurelab to develop an interactive artwork. Students travel to Linz, Austria and present their work at the Ars Electronica Festival (Further details).
- Introduction to Web Design and Development: Students learn the foundations of how to create web-sites using current web technologies (KIB103).
- Embodied Interactions: Explores ways of designing interfaces that use more physical, bodily kinds of interactions. We want to make computers more fun, expressive and enjoyable to use (KIB309).
- Tangible Media: How can you give interactive technology more of a physical presence? Students learn how to create and test interactive electronic prototypes (KIB314).
- Boer L, Donovan JW, Buur J, (2013) Challenging industry conceptions with provotypes, CoDesign: international journal of cocreation in design and the arts p73-89
- Donovan J, Heinemann T, Matthews B, Buur J, (2011) Getting the point: The role of gesture in managing intersubjectivity in a design activity, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing p221-235
- Donovan JW, Sade GJ, Seevinck J, (2013) Gestural, emergent and expressive: Three research themes for haptic interaction, Design, User Experience, and Usability. User Experience in Novel Technological Environments: Second International Conference, DUXU 2013, Held as Part of HCI International 2013, Proceedings, Part III [Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 8014] p352-361
- Rittenbruch M, Sorensen AC, Donovan JW, Polson DM, Docherty MJ, Jones JI, (2013) The Cube: A very large-scale interactive engagement space, Proceedings of the 2013 ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces p1-10
- Gunn W, Donovan JW, (2012) Design and anthropology [Anthropological studies of creativity and perception], Ashgate Publishing
- Gunn W, Donovan JW, (2012) Design anthropology: An introduction, Design and anthropology [Anthropological studies of creativity and perception] p1-16
- Donovan JW, Gunn W, (2012) Moving from objects to possibilities, Design and anthropology [Anthropological studies of creativity and perception] p121-134
- Donovan J, Howard S, Satchell C, Brereton M, Robertson T, Vetere F, (2012) Designerly analysis of a socio-physical design activity, Proceedings of the Participatory Innovation Conference 2012 p1-8
- Boer L, Donovan J, (2012) Provotypes for participatory innovation, Proceedings of the 9th ACM Designing Interactive Systems Conference p388-397
- Donovan J, Brereton M, (2005) Movements in gesture interfaces, Proceedings of the Workshop: Approaches to Movement-Based Interaction p6-10
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.