- Associate Professor Bill Dixon
- Associate Professor
Faculty of Law,
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 2449
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Doctor of Juridical Science (Queensland University of Technology), Doctor of Jusidical Science (Queensland University of Technology)
Commercial & retail leasing, Contract law, Property law, Receivership
Prior to joining the Faculty of Law, Bill was a senior associate at Corrs Chamber Westgarth. For over 16 years, Bill practised in the areas of property, small business and commercial transactions, securities and general banking and finance work.
In 2005 Bill completed his doctorate on the topic “An Examination of the Common Law Obligation of Good Faith in the Performance and Enforcement of Commercial Contracts in Australia”.
Bill has co-authored 11 books and authored 6 book chapters, 2 part-book chapters, 20 C1 journal articles (three co-authored), 80 scholarly articles (C2 and C3) as well as contributing to 72 loose-leaf updates. Bill’s research has had national impact as evidenced by citations of his work by the High Court, the Queensland Court of Appeal and the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Queensland as well as numerous monograph, journal, Working Paper and legal encyclopaedia citations.
Bill has been the recipient of 4 awards for research and scholarship together with 5 teaching awards.
Bill is the ‘Conveyancing and Property Law’ Section Editor for the Queensland Lawyer, was previously a member of the Australian Property Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia (as the Queensland state representative nominated by the President of the Queensland Law Society) and the the Queensland Law Society’s Property Law Specialist Accreditation Advisory Committee. Research Interests
- Property Law
- Contract Law
- Secured Lending Transactions and Enforcement Issues arising from these Transactions
- Duncan BD, Dixon BM, (2013) The law of real property mortgages, 2nd edition p1-528
- Willmott L, Christensen SA, Butler DA, Dixon BM, (2013) Contract Law (4th edition) p1-992
- Butler DA, Christensen SA, Dixon BM, Willmott L, (2013) Contract Law Case Book [2nd ed.]
- Christensen SA, Dixon BM, Duncan BD, Jones SE, (2011) Land Contracts in Queensland, 3rd edition
- Dixon BM, (2012) Common law obligations of good faith in the performance and enforcement of joint ventures of a non-fiduciary nature, Joint Ventures Law in Australia, 3rd edition p93-139
- Dixon BM, (2012) The Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act 2011 (Qld) and disclosure issues, Queensland Lawyer p80-87
- Dixon BM, (2011) Good faith in contractual performance and enforcement : Australian doctrinal hurdles, Australian Business Law Review p227-244
- Dixon BM, (2011) Pool safety in Queensland, The Queensland Lawyer p266-274
- Dixon BM, (2010) Getting more than the judgment debtor can give?, The Queensland Lawyer p184-189
- Dixon BM, Backstrom MA, (2009) A changing landscape: the mortgagee's power of sale in Queensland, Journal of the Australasian Law Teachers Association p257-268
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.