- Adjunct Associate Professor Nur Demirbilek
- Adjunct Associate Professor
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Design Office
- Discipline *
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Doctor of Philosophy (Middle East Technical University)
- Professional memberships
1980 – to date: Chamber of Architects, Turkey (registered architect)
1991 – 2011: ISES (International Solar Energy Society) – Member
1991 – to date: UGET-TB (International Solar Energy Society Turkish Section), Ankara – Founder Member
1999 – to date: TEMEV (Clean Energy Foundation) Ankara
2001 – 2012: Colour Society of Australia, QLD Division – Member
1997 – 2000: ANZSES (Australian – New Zealand Solar Energy Society) Sydney – Member
2000: ANZSES (Australian – New Zealand Solar Energy Society), QLD Chapter, Brisbane -Member
2000: Mimarlik Vakfi (MIV Foundation of Architecture Institute) Istanbul – Member
2003 – 05, 2007 – 2012: ANZSES (Australian – New Zealand Solar Energy Society) Queensland Chapter -Board Member
1996 – 1997: UIA Architecture and Energy Working Group Turkish National Section Subcommittee, Ankara – Founder member
2001 – 2003: RAIA Queensland Chapter Subcommittee of Practice – Energy Efficiency Review Team
2001 – 2003: RAIA Queensland Chapter Subcommittee of Training – Energy Efficiency Member
1998 – 2000: Ecological Architecture Group, Chamber of Architects Turkey – Member
1998: Disaster Management Implementation and Research Centre, Ankara – Member
1990-1997: METU Energy Group, Planning and Coordination Council Member
1996-1997: UIA Architecture and Energy Working Group Turkish National Section Subcommittee, Ankara Founder Member
1994-2000: METU Association of Academic Staff Member
1994-1997: Faculty Board of METU Faculty of Architecture Assistant Prof Represent
1982-1988: Ministry of Energy and Natural Sources Energy Saving Coordination Committee, Turkey Member
Climate-Responsive Design, Colour & Lighting In Architecture, Energy Efficiency, Shading Devices, Solar Architecture, Solar Space Heating & Cooling, Thermal Mass, Thermal Performance Of Buildings
Broad Area of Research – Design Associate Professor Demirbilek’s research interests include:
- Climate responsive design
- Solar architecture (passive heating and cooling)
- Energy efficiency
- Shading devices
- Thermal performance of buildings
- Thermal mass
- Colour and lighting in architecture
- ARC Discovery Grant DP0880813 – Demonstrating the feasibility of designing sustainable buildings using evolutionary systems.
- QUT Design Theme (140900-6000/07) – Potential of Reducing cooling loads through double facades in medium and high-rise office buildings
- CRC CI 2002-077-B – Sustainable Subdivisions: Ventilation
- CRC CI 2004-003-B – Microclimatic Impacts on the Built Environment
- CRC CI 2001-005-B – Indoor Environments: Design, Productivity and;
- CRC CI 2002-075-B-01 – Integrated Sustainable Housing Development
- QUT – Light and Colour Lab
- QUT Research Capacity Funding – Various instruments for Light and Colour Lab
- Brisbane Airport Corporation – Energy Efficiency in Airport Freight Centre 1 (AFC1). Design of Shading Devices
- QUT Research Grant – Achieving Sustainability in Architecture
- QUT Research Grant – Mixed-Mode Systems
- CSIRO/QUT Collaborative Research – Energy in Homes (02)
- TUBITAK YAG-1 – Solar Applications and Energy Efficiency in Building Design and Town Planning.
- GUNARDA AGUDOS 94-01-05-02 and 94-02-01-08 -Thermal Performance Analysis of Antalya-Saklikent National Observatory Service Building Design
- YUKSEL PROJE A.S. – AGUDOS 93-02-01-12 – Energy Efficient Building Design for the Climatic Conditions of Ankara
- YAG-1 – Solar Applications and Energy Efficiency in Building Design and Town Planning (ECE/UNDP/RER/ 87/006) Phase I: The Built Environment Survey Report, Part I: State-of-the-Art-Report ; Part II: Building Survey Questionnaires
- TUBITAK MAG690/A – Energy Saving for Mass Housing by Decreasing Heat Losses and Increasing Solar Gains
- TUBITAK Building Research Institute – YAE 215 - A Graphical Set for Predicting Solar Data
- TUBITAK Construction Technologies Research Group – YAG-37 (INTAG-204). - Effects of Insulation, Air Collectors, and Floor Heating to the Thermal Performance of a Building
- YUBETAS – ODTU – AGUDOS 90-03-04 – Moisture Problems in YUBETAS Oyak Lodgements TUBITAK Building Research Institute – YAE 201 Thermal Insulation Regulations in Buildings
- Turkish Republic Ministry of Construction – TUBITAK YAE-166 – Thermal Ins of Walls, Floors, and Roofs to be used as Appendix for Thermal Insulation Regulation of Turkey
2014 – 2016:Part-time Instructor, Istanbul Maltepe University Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
2014 – 2016:Part-time Instructor, Istanbul Bilgi University Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
2013: Part-time Instructor, METU Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
2011 – date: Adjunct Associate Professor, QUT Creative Industries
2000 – 2010: Senior Lecturer – Assoc. Prof. QUT
1997 – 2000: Assoc. Prof. (tenured) METU Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture 1997: Visiting Lecturer:
- The University of New South Wales, Faculty of Built Environment, School of Architecture;
- UTS, Department of Architecture;
- The University of Sydney, Department of Architectural and Design Science.
1995 – 1996: Part-time Instructor, Gazi University Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
1992 – 1997: Assistant Professor, METU Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
1990 – 1992: Instructor, METU Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
1988 – 1990: Teaching Assistant, METU Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
1985 – 1988: Part-time Instructor, METU Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
1982 – 1988: Research Fellow, The Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK, CSIRO equivalent), Building Research Institute, Environmental Control Systems Unit
1981 – 1982: Student Assistant, METU Faculty of Architecture, Department of Architecture
Nur has taught about 55 units in 10 universities (most of which are leading universities) and 3 countries throughout her academic life. She has coordinated and either fully or substantially taught 25 of these units with full responsibility; carried out a substantial teaching in others, took a key role in integration of environmental science to 10 design studios, taught in 8 units up to 4 weeks per semester, and tutored in 5 units. expand collapse
A Selection of Invited Lectures, Talks, and Public Seminars:
2013 Sustainable Architecture, Architectural Science and Design Education. Green Concept in Architecture and Environment, Department of Architecture Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Surabaya, Indonesia, Keynote speaker.
2013 Energy Efficient Building Examples from Australia and Turkey. Department of Architecture Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Surabaya, Indonesia, Guest Speaker.
14 Jun 2011 Climate-responsive building design. AuSES Queensland Branch, Santos Place, Brisbane
9 Jun 2011 Turkish Miniature and Illumination. Colour Society Queensland Chapter, QUT Brisbane Invited Speaker.
10 Nov 2010 A Glimpse to Australia and Energy Responsive Building Design in Australia. T.C Maltepe University, Istanbul, Turkey Invited Speaker.
8 Nov 2007 “Turkish Ebru: Floating Colours A PowerPoint & Video Presentation on the History and Background of EBRU”. Colour Society Queensland Chapter, Brisbane Invited Speaker.
16 July 2007 Technical Talk “Energy Responsive Building Design in Australia and Turkey” Hong Kong Institution Engineers/Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers/Department of Building and Construction, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Invited Speaker.
28 May 2007 Invited by METU Teaching Staff Association, a seminar titled “Restoration of the Solar House and Establishment of Solar House Museum at the University” Ankara Turkey, Invited Speaker
19 Mar 2007 Industry Seminar, Climate Comfort versus Climate Change: Climate Friendly AC Solutions, Queensland Sustainable Energy Industry Development Group, Brisbane, Invited Speaker.
15 Nov 2006 Guest Presenter of Bookbinders’ Guild Meeting: Ebru in Bookbinding, Brisbane, Invited Speaker.
26 May 2006 Artist’s Talk: Ebru – Paint on Water, QUT Art Museum, Brisbane,
7 June 2004 Colours of Turkey: Design, Art, and Architecture, Colour Society Brisbane Chapter, Brisbane, Australia, Invited Speaker.
6 Jan. 2004 “Examples of Solar Energy Studies from Australia.” Hacettepe University, YETAM New and Clean Energy Research-Application Centre, Ankara Turkey, Invited Speaker.
Aug. 2001 “Principles of Climate Conscious Building Design”, International Summer School II, MIV Foundation of Architecture Institute, Istanbul, Invited Lecturer.
Nov. 2000 “Teaching Sustainable Design in QUT”. BDP Teaching Sustainable Design Forum, Melbourne, Invited Speaker.
Many interviews on Turkish State TV and radio about Solar Energy and Energy Savings in Dwellings for informing the community (in Turkish)
Nur is a recognized artist on Traditional Turkish Decorative Arts “Tezhip” and “Ebru” and many of her paintings are in private collections in various countries. Her engagement in this form of arts has influenced her professional life profoundly in various ways. By marrying this interest area with the teaching and research enriched her expertise area such as affecting the teaching to include light and colour areas in her expertise area and teach both in Architecture and Interior Design disciplines in various Universities, which in turn has lead to design and construct some teaching and learning devices, such as light and colour boxes and forming of Colour and Light Lab in collaboration with A/Prof Dianne Smith as a research grant.
2006 “Ebru: Floating Colours” QUT Art Museum, 9 May-11 June
2002 “Turkish Decorative Arts: Illumination and Motifs from Textile, Pottery, and Tiles” QUT Art Museum, 4 July-11 August
2000 Akbank Art Gallery, 7-28 April
2010 “Lalezar: A Garden of Tulips” by Group Cintemani at Sydney Balmain Watch Gallery, Sydney Australia (4-5 December)
2010 “Art from Silk Road to Oceanaria” by Group TULIP-WARATAH at Ordekli Hamami Kultur ve Sanat Merkezi, Bursa Turkey (3-13 July)
2010 ”Dimensions: Artistry in Engineering Exhibition” Engineers Without Borders at QUT (1 painting only)
2009 ”Connections – Turkish and Korean Women Artists Exhibition”, Melbourne. Australian Turkish Cultural Platform and Korean Artist Associations (31 January – February)
2009 ”Dimensions: Artistry in Engineering Exhibition” Engineers Without Borders (1 painting only)
2007 Vakif Bank Art Gallery Atakule (30 May -10 June)
2001 RAIA, Qld Chapter, December (2 paintings only)
1998 Vakıf Bank Art Gallery Cinnah (4 paintings only)
1996 METU Library Exhibition Hall, 6-14 June
1985 Çankırı Culture Palace
1984 METU Academic Club, 22– 29 November
1984 Osmanlı Bankası A.Ş. Çankaya Branch Art Gallery, Cinnah, 15-26 October
- Demirbilek N, Osborne L, Caldwell GA, Demirbilek O, (2010) "I'm a designer, get me out of tech class!": closing the gap between design and technology education, Proceedings of the 44th Annual Conference of the Australian and New Zealand Architectural Science Association p1-8
- Demirbilek N, Demirbilek O, (2008) Comfort and light, Architectura Elements of Architectural Style p298-319
- Demirbilek N, Depczynski F, (2008) Potential of Reducing Cooling Loads through Facade and Glass Types in Medium and High-Rise Office Buildings in Sub-Tropical Climatic Regions, Proceedings of the 3rd International Solar Energy Society Conference, Asia Pacific Region, 46th ANZSES Annual Conference p1-9
- Demirbilek N, Depczynski F, (2004) Potential of Reducing Cooling Loads through Architectural Design and Mixed-Mode Systems in Medium Rise Office Buildings in Brisbane, Solar Harvest 2002, Forging our Energy Future. p1-7
- Demirbilek F, Yalciner U, Ecevit A, Sahmali E, Inanici M, (2003) Analysis of Thermal Performance of a Building Design Located at 2465: Antalya - Saklikent National Observatory Guesthouse, Building and Environment p177-184
- Williamson BJ, Demirbilek N, (2003) The Potential for Increasing Thermal Comfort through Selection of Construction Types in Brisbane, Proceedings of the 41st Annual Conference of the Australia & New Zealand Solar Energy Society p381-386
- Naish DA, Tan AC, Demirbilek N, (2013) Speech interference and transmission on residential balconies with road traffic noise, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America p210-226
- Naish D, Tan A, Demirbilek N, (2012) Estimating health related costs and savings from balcony acoustic design for road traffic noise, Applied Acoustics p497-507
- Cheng CC, Leung A, Lam K, Demirbilek N, Williamson JJ, (2010) A CFC study of Hong Kong refuge floor design: floor height effect, Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics p425-433
- Cheng CC, Lam KM, Demirbilek N, (2008) Effects of building wall arrangements on wind-induced ventilation through the refuge Floor of a tall building, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics p656-664
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Grants and projects (Category 1: Australian Competitive Grants only)
- Demonstrating the Feasibility of Designing Sustainable Buildings Using Evolutionary Systems
- Primary fund type
- CAT 1 - Australian Competitive Grant
- Project ID
- Start year
- Sustainability; Green Architecture; Design Simulation; Design Methods; Generative Techniques; Evolutionary Systems