- Professor Michael Collins
Faculty of Health,
School - Optometry and Vision Science
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Optometry - CDA
- Discipline *
- Optometry and Ophthalmology
- +61 7 3138 5702
- +61 7 3138 5665
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), MAppSc (Queensland University of Technology), DipAppSc (Queensland Inst. of Technology)
- Professional memberships
Member of the Optometrists Association of Australia
Fellow of the Cornea and Contact Lens Society of Australia
Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
Fellow of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Contact lenses, Myopia, Optometry, Vision
Michael Collins is a Professor in the School of Optometry and Vision Science at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. He graduated from QIT in 1977 with a Diploma of Applied Science (Optometry) and then worked as a clinical optometrist. He was appointed to the teaching staff at QIT in 1980 and went on to complete a Master of Applied Science degree in visual psychophysics in 1986 and a PhD in visual optics in 1996.
His research laboratory, the Contact Lens and Visual Optics Laboratory, commenced in 1980 and specialises in myopia and the visual and optical characteristics of the eye and contact lenses. The laboratory has graduated over 20 HDR students and has been awarded over $17M in research funding.
Professor Collins is the unit coordinator for Contact Lens Practice and manages the Contact Lens Clinics at the QUT Health Clinics.
- Collins MJ, Vincent SJ, Read SA, (2017) The cornea, Handbook of visual optics: Fundamentals and eye optics, Volume One p187-210
- Read SA, Collins MJ, Vincent SJ, (2015) Light exposure and eye growth in childhood, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science p6779-6787
- Chakraborty R, Read SA, Collins MJ, (2011) Diurnal variations in axial length, choroidal thickness, intraocular pressure, and ocular biometrics, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science p5121-5129
- Read SA, Collins MJ, Sander B, (2010) Human optical axial length and defocus, Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science p6262-6269
- Collins MJ, Buehren TF, Iskander R, (2006) Retinal Image Quality, Reading and Myopia, Vision Research p196-215
- Atchison DA, Collins M, Wildsoet C, Christensen J, Waterworth M, (1995) Measurement of Monochromatic Ocular Aberrations of Human Eyes as a Function of Accommodation by the Howland Aberroscope Technique, Vision Res. p313-323
- Collins M, Davis B, Wood J, (1995) Microfluctuations of Steady-state Accommodation and the Cardiopulmonary System, Vision Research p2491-2502
- Collins M, Wildsoet C, Atchison DA, (1995) Monochromatic Aberrations and Myopia, Vision Research p1157-1163
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.