- Dr Jaz Choi
- Senior Lecturer
Creative Industries Faculty,
School of Design Office,
Interactive and Visual Design
- Discipline *
- Design Practice and Management, Communication and Media Studies
- +61 7 3138 7657
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (Queensland University of Technology), BCI(CommDesign) (Queensland University of Technology), BMultimedia (Griffith University)
Design, Urban informatics, Social Entrepreneurship, Self care, Mutual aid, Youth, Play, Participatory innovation, Asia, Latin America
BMultimedia Griff, BCI ComDes (Hons1) QUT, GradCert Academic Practice QUT, PhD QUT
Dr Jaz Hee-Jeong Choi is the Deputy Director of the Urban Informatics Research Lab, Postgraduate Studies Coordinator in Interactive and Visual Design, and a Senior Lecturer in the School of Design, Creative Industries Faculty at Queensland University of Technology, Australia. She is also the founder and acting chair of FoodCHI, a global food and computer-human interaction research network as part of ACM SIGCHI.
Her research interests are in playful technology, particularly the ways in which various forms of playful interaction are designed, developed, and integrated in different cultural contexts. She is at the forefront of transdisciplinary research on the changing urban everyday. Her doctoral research ‘Playpolis: Transyouth and Urban Networking in Seoul’ placed play at the core of urban sociocultural, technological, and economic sustainability by conceptualising the city as an intersecting network of people, places, and technologies.
Jaz’s current work explores designing and developing playful technologies to cultivate sustainable food culture, as well as self-care and mutual aid in urban environments with a particular focus on youth social entrepreneurship. Her innovative approach to understanding techno-social developments by coalescing macro- and microscopic research methods has contributed to a wide variety of research and development domains from urban studies to interaction design. She has collaborated with leading international researchers and published in books and journals across various disciplines. She has also given invited talks at major international forums and conferences, including the opening keynote at the 2010 UNESCO Creative Cities Conference and the inaugural Global Social Economy Forum in 2013.
Upcoming event: come and join her at the Digital Guano workshop in Amsterdam in April, 2016.
Higher Degree Research Supervision Dr Jaz Choi is currently supervising 8 QUT higher degree students. She is a member of QUT’s College of Mentoring HDR Supervisors.
2014 – current: QUT subjects taught
- DXB101: Design and Creative Thinking: Unit Coordinator, Lecturer, Tutor
- DXB403: Design for Interactive Media: Unit Coordinator, Lecturer, Tutor
2004 – 2012: QUT subjects taught
- DEN511 Theory Research Project A: Unit Coordinator, Lecturer, Tutor
- KKP407 Creative Industries in Asia: Unit Coordinator, sessional Lecturer, Tutor
- KKB009 Writing for Creative Industries: Head tutor, tutor
- KKP601 Approaches to Enquiry in the Creative Industries: Sessional Lecturer
- KKP003 Project Design in the Creative Industries: Sessional Lecturer
- KKB007 Introduction to Multimedia Technology: Sessional Lecturer, Tutor
- KIB807 Media Technology 1: Tutor
- KWB314 Corporate Writing and Editing: Tutor
- KCB259 Virtual Cultures: Tutor
- KCB336 New Media Technologies: Tutor
2000 – 2005: Griffith University subjects taught
- 1512CIT Multimedia IB
- 2616GFS Interactive Composition
- 7622GFS Digital Publishing
- Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford, UK
- Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- KAIST, South Korea
- Tampere University of Technology, Finland
- University of Oulu, Finland
For publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.