- Dr Stacey Campbell
Faculty of Education,
School of Early Childhood and Inclusive Education
- Discipline *
- Education Systems, Specialist Studies in Education
- +61 7 3138 3176
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
- Identifiers and profiles
PhD (Macquarie University), MA (Macquarie University), Academic Practice (Queensland University of Technology), BTeach(EarlyChildhood) (Macquarie University), BEd(Primary) (Charles Sturt University)
- Professional memberships
Australian Literacy Educators’ Association (ALEA) International Literacy Association (ILA) Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Early Childhood Australia (ECA)
Stacey Campbell is a Lecturer in the Faculty of Education, QUT. Stacey has worked in education for over 10 years as a teacher and director in NSW primary schools and prior-to-school settings. In addition to her primary and early years teaching qualifications, she has a Masters Degree in children’s literature. Stacey completed her mixed methods PhD in 2015, investigating early childhood educators’ beliefs about code-related literacy development, phonics instruction and the use of commercial phonics programs. Stacey teaches in the areas of literacy, English, early childhood and primary professional learning. Her research interests include:
- code-related literacy
- early years literacy
- teacher beliefs and practices
- professional learning
- early childhood
- mixed methods research
Stacey’s current research investigates parental perceptions of early literacy learning and teaching.
Stacey teaches and coordinates the early years literacy/English units, primary and early childhood assessment and professional experience at QUT’s Kelvin Grove campus. EAB510 Early childhood English, literacies and language 1 EAB534 Early childhood English, literacies and language 2 EAB535 Early childhood English, literacies and language 3 EAN657 Teaching English and literacy in the early years EDB173 Early childhood and primary assessment 1: Summative and diagnostic assessment / professional experience.
Stacey has been a teacher and director in NSW primary schools and early childhood contexts for over 10 years. Stacey was an associate lecturer at Macquarie University, NSW where she taught professional learning, early years English, literacy and language units. Stacey joined QUT as an academic staff member in 2015. Her experience includes consultancies with NSW Department of Education and Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority (QCAA). Stacey has developed early literacy support materials and professional topic video resources for the QCAA’s website.
Stacey is currently the Vice-President Local Branch Sunshine Coast region Australian Literacy Educators’ Association (ALEA). She is a supervisor and associate supervisor of three PhD and EdD students investigating literacy, English and assessment in early primary and senior school curriculum areas.
Stacey’s recent industry publications include: Campbell, S. (2016). Playing with phonics: Teaching letters and sounds. Every Child, 22(4), 10-11.
Stacey’s recent conference presentations include: Australian Literacy Educators’ Association (ALEA) Conference 2017 (Hobart, 6-9 July, 2017).What do Australian teachers really think about early years code-related literacy learning? British Education Research Association (BERA) Conference 2016 (Leeds, United Kingdom, 13-15 September, 2016). Pre-packaged literacy programs: Teachers’ beliefs about code-related literacy, phonics instruction and the use of commercial phonics programmes in early childhood. European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA) Conference 2016 (Dublin, Ireland 31 August-3 September, 2016). Pre-packaged literacy learning: Early childhood educators’ beliefs about phonics teaching and commercial phonics programme use.
- Campbell SA, (2016) Playing with phonics: Teaching letters and sounds, Every Child p10-11
- Campbell SA, (2015) Feeling the pressure: Early childhood educators' reported views about learning and teaching phonics in Australian prior-to-school settings, Australian Journal of Language and Literacy p12-26
- Campbell SA, Torr J, Cologon KM, (2014) Pre-packaging preschool literacy: What drives early childhood teachers to use commercially produced phonics programs in prior to school settings, Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood p40-53
- Campbell SA, Torr J, Cologon KM, (2012) Ants, apples and the ABCs: The use of commercial phonics programmes in prior-to-school children's services, Journal of Early Childhood Literacy p367-388
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
- Feedback Practices and Beliefs of Secondary English Teachers Supporting Student Writing: An Exploratory Multi-Case Study
PhD, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Associate Professor Karen Dooley
- Metalanguage and Literacy education in Queensland school contexts
Professional Doctorate, Principal Supervisor
Other supervisors: Professor Annette Woods
- Play-based curriculum in Special Schools
Professional Doctorate, Associate Supervisor
Other supervisors: Dr Bronwyn Ewing