- Professor Ann Bonner
Faculty of Health,
School - Nursing
- IHBI Member
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Nursing - HHWB
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 0823
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (University of Western Sydney), Master of Arts (Macquarie University), BAppSc(Nurs) (University of Sydney)
- Professional memberships
- Chair – Scientific Committee, Renal Society of Australasia (RSA)
- Co-editor – Renal Society of Australasia Journal ERA C
- Member – Renal Society of Australasia (RSA)
- Member – European Dialysis & Transplant Nurses Association (EDTNA)
- Member – Royal College of Nursing Australia (RSA)
- Member – Sigma Theta Tau Interational (STTI)
- Member – Transplant Nurses Association (TNA)
- Associate Member - Australian College of Nurse Practitioners
Chronic Conditions, Chronic Disease, Grounded Theory, Kidney, Renal, Transplantation
Dr Ann Bonner has recently been appointed as Professor of Nursing in the School of Nursing & Midwifery at Queensland University of Technology University. Prior to this position, she was Associate Professor and Director of Postgraduate Studies at Charles Sturt University.
Ann has extensive experience in clinical nursing, undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and supervision of doctoral candidates. Her research interests are in renal health care, chronic conditions, advanced clinical practice roles, and rural and remote healthcare.
Currently, Ann conducts collaborative research projects with academic staff and clinicians in New South Wales and Queensland.
Ann is recognised nationally and internationally as an expert renal nurse. She is also an Associate Editor and Editorial Board Member for the Renal Society of Australasia Journal, Chair of the RSA Scientific Committee and reviewer for several national and international journals.
- 2010: A study of nurse practitioner service in CKD clinics in Queensland, Amgen Chronic kidney disease grant.
- 2010: Evaluation of the COAG Healthy Communities Initiative: Narrandera Live Well Network, Narrandera Shire Council.
- 2009: Renal information practice in nursing, Charles Sturt University, School of Nursing & Midwifery Grant.
- 2008: Community based rehabilitation approach for rural NSW, NSW Institute of Rural Clinical Services and Training.
- NSN724 Advanced Nursing Practice (Acute care stream)
- NSB224 Research Approaches in Nursing (3rd Year Undergraduate program)
Previous Postgraduate Teaching
- Master of Health Science Portfolio (onshore & offshore)
- Health Master’s Dissertation (onshore & offshore)
- Health Master’s Project (onshore & offshore)
- Nursing as a Discipline (onshore & offshore)
- Research Proposal (onshore & offshore)
- Qualitative Data Management in Nursing
- Advanced Medical Nursing
- Clinical Teaching in Nursing
- Advanced Physiological Nursing
Previous Undergraduate Teaching
- Acute care/high dependency nursing
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Nursing research
- Law & Ethics
- Al Mutary H, Bonner AJ, Douglas C, (2013) Symptom burden in chronic kidney disease: A review of recent literature , Journal of Renal Care p1-11
- Lloyd A, Bonner AJ, Dawson-Rose C, (2013) The health information practices of people living with chronic health conditions: Implications for health literacy, Journal of Librarianship and Information Science p1-10
- Bennett P, Bonner AJ, Andrew J, Nandkumar J, Au C, (2013) Using images to communicate the hidden struggles of life on dialysis, Journal of Communication in Healthcare p12-21
- Dywili S, Bonner A, O'Brien L, (2013) Why do nurses migrate? - a review of recent literature, Journal of Nursing Management p511-520
- de-Vitry Smith S, Dietsch E, Bonner AJ, (2013) Pregnancy as public property: The experience of couples following diagnosis of a foetal anomaly, Women and Birth p76-81
- Bonner AJ, Lloyd A, (2012) Exploring the information practices of people with end-stage kidney disease, Journal of Renal Care p124-130
- Douglas B, Bonner AJ, (2011) Clinical education for nephrology nurse practitioner candidates in Australia: A consensus statement, Renal Society of Australasia Journal p13-23
- Bonner A, Lloyd A, (2011) What information counts at the moment of practice? Information practices of renal nurses, Journal of Advanced Nursing p1213-1221
- Hayes B, Bonner A, Pryor J, (2010) Factors contributing to nurse job satisfaction in the acute hospital setting: a review of recent literature, Journal of Nursing Management p804-814
- Bonner A, Wellard S, Caltabiano ML, (2010) The impact of fatigue on daily activity in people with chronic kidney disease, Journal of Clinical Nursing p3006-3015