- Professor Wageeh Boles
Science and Engineering Faculty,
Electrical Engineering, Computer Science,
Computational Intelligence and Signal Processing
- Discipline *
- Artificial Intelligence and Image Processing
- +61 7 3138 9132
- +61 7 3138 1516
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (University of Pittsburgh), MSc (University of Pittsburgh), BSc (Assiut University)
Engineering Education, Identification of humans:iris, palm or facial features, Image processing, Object recognition, Video/image based inspection, Video/image based measurements & classification, Video/image based security
Areas of expertise
- Engineering Education
- Image processing and computer vision and applications
- Identification of humans using iris, palm or facial features
- Video/image based surveillance
- Object recognition
- Video/image based measurements & classifications
Wageeh Boles is Professor at the School Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Intelligence and Signal Processing, Science and Engineering Faculty, Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane. He was an Assistant Professor at Penn State University, USA, prior to joining QUT.
Wageeh held the position of Assistant Dean (Teaching and Learning), Faculty of Built Environment and Engineering, QUT, from 1999 to 2004. He has been successful in obtaining numerous competitive research and teaching development grants, and has more than 170 publications as journal and conference papers, book chapters, theses, and learning and teaching software packages.
Professor Boles has also published widely in the areas of biometric identification using iris and palm features, object recognition, robot vision, technology and education, work integrated learning, curriculum design, and the study and utilisation of learners’ cognitive styles.
Wageeh was awarded two Outstanding Teaching Assistant Medals, at the University of Pittsburgh, USA, in 1987-88. Since joining QUT, he has won several university and national awards, including the Engineers Australia and Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AaeE) Award for Excellence in Teaching and Leadership in Engineering Education. In 2007, he was President of the AaeE. In 2007 Wageeh received an Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Associate Fellowship, and 2011, he was awarded a National Teaching Fellowship.
Wageeh is a member of IEEE, APRS, ALTF, and AaeE.
- Boles WW, (1997) A Security System Based on Human Iris Identification Using Wavelet Transform, Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Conventional and Knowledge-based Intelligent Systems
- Boles WW, Boashash B, (1998) A Human Identification Technique Using Images of the Iris and Wavelet Transform, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing p829-1188
- Boles W, Howard P, Hadgraft R, Jolly L, (2009) Towards a better understanding of the student-lecturer-university interactions to enhance learning in engineering, Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference for the Australasian Association for Engineering Education p630-636
- Nyeem H, Boles W, Boyd C, (2013) A review of medical image watermarking requirements for teleradiology, Journal of Digital Imaging p326-343
- Hansen P, Boles W, Corke P, (2008) Spherical diffusion for scale-invariant keypoint detection in wide-angle images, Proceedings of the Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications Conference (DICTA 2008) p525-532
- Taylor T, Geva S, Boles W, (2004) Vision-based Pirouettes using the Radial Obstacle Profile, Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics (RAM 2004) p147-152
- Boyle J, Maeder AJ, Boles W, (2002) Image Enhancement for Electronic Visual Prostheses, Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine p81-86
- Pillay HK, Boles WW, McCrindle AR, (2001) Understanding the use of domain and task knowledge in the interpretation of graphical displays., European Journal of Psychology of Education p491-508
- Busch A, Boles W, Sridharan S, (2005) Texture for Script identification, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence p1720-1731
- Gurtner A, Greer D, Glassock R, Mejias Alvarez LO, Walker RA, Boles W, (2009) Investigation of fish-eye lenses for small-UAV aerial photography, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing p709-721
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- A Multiple Control Fuzzy Vault - A Multiple Control Biometric Cryptosystem with Fingerprints (2009)
- Mapping of Indoor Environments by Robots using Low-cost Vision Sensors (2009)
- Mobility Enhancement using Simulated Artificial Human Vision (2007)
- Improving Perception from Electronic Visual Protheses (2005)
- Wavelet Transform for Texture Analysis with Application to Document Analysis (2004)