- Associate Professor Denise Beutel
- Associate Professor
Faculty of Education,
School of Curriculum
- Discipline *
- Education Systems, Specialist Studies in Education, Curriculum and Pedagogy
- +61 7 3138 8671
- +61 7 3138 3985
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
EdD (Queensland University of Technology), Graduate Diploma (Sec-Science Teaching) (Queensland University of Technology)
Professional Development, Initial teacher Education, Teacher Induction, Science education, Educational Leadership, Assessment moderation, Pedagogy, Higher education, Mentoring, Professional learning
Dr Denise Beutel’s background is in science/maths teaching with over 20 years teaching experience in secondary schools in both the state and private sectors. During that time, she taught junior science, senior chemistry, senior multi-strand science and junior mathematics and was responsible for developing and implementing science/maths transdisciplinary units in the middle years of schooling. Her lecturing experiences since commencing at QUT in 2005 include: The Middle Years of Schooling, Teaching Strategies, Trans-disciplinary Science-Technology Education, and Teaching and Learning Studies. Her interest in the middle years of schooling originally stemmed from research undertaken in her doctoral thesis and her involvement with the introduction of a middle school at her last teaching position. Currently, she is the course mentor for the Graduate Diploma in Education (Middle Years).
Dr Beutel has recently completed a research study into the nature of pedagogic teacher-student interactions in the middle years of schooling and she is currently involved in research relating to the development and implementation of induction programs for beginning teachers and mentoring programs for experienced teachers. Her research interests also include pedagogy in the middle years of schooling and school reform.
- Adie L, Lloyd MM, Beutel DA, (2013) Identifying discourses of moderation in higher education, Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education p968-977
- Crosswell L, Beutel D, (2012) Investigating pre-service teachers' perceptions of their preparedness to teach, The International Journal of Learning p203-211
- Beutel D, Crosswell L, (2012) Preparing to teach: Perceptions of graduate entry teacher education students, IAMURE: International Journal of Education p96-106
- Willis JE, Beutel DA, Welch AM, Willis PA, (2012) Becoming professionals: Partnerships reshaping preservice teachers' transition to full-time teaching, Proceedings of the 2012 Annual Australian Teacher Education Association (ATEA) Conference p1-8
- Crosswell LJ, Beutel DA, (2011) Transitioning to practice across the professions: some lessons from the teaching profession, Practical Experiences in Professional Education: A transdisciplinary approach p171-187
- Heirdsfield AM, Walker S, Tambyah MM, Beutel DA, (2011) Blackboard as an online learning environment: What do teacher education students and staff think?, Australian Journal of Teacher Education p1-16
- Beutel D, Adie L, Hudson S, (2011) Promoting rural and remote teacher education in Australia through the Over the Hill project, The International Journal of Learning p377-388
- Crosswell L, Beutel D, Henderson D, (2011) A way forward to managing the transition to professional practice for beginning teachers, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Teaching and Learning (ICTL 2011) p1-7
- Hudson P, Beutel D, (2011) Design on the future: developing and enacting sustainable living programs in primary schools, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Teaching and Learning (ICTL 2011) p1-8
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.