- Ms Michelle Backstrom
Faculty of Law,
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 2829
- +61 7 3138 1775
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
Master of Law (Queensland University of Technology), LLB (Queensland Inst. of Technology)
- Professional memberships
- Member of the Australasian Law Teachers’ Association.
- Member of the Consumers’ Federation of Australia.
- Previously admitted to practice as a Queensland Legal Practitioner.
contract law, property law, consumer law
Michelle Backstrom is a lecturer in the Law School. In 1991, Michelle was a solicitor at a national law firm before a move to Hong Kong where she taught Property Law in the School of Professional and Continuing Education at the University of Hong Kong. Michelle has extensive professional experience in the areas of contract negotiation, property sales, leases and other commercial transactions. Michelle has taught extensively in the Faculty in Contracts, Property Law, Legal Research and Writing, Bankruptcy and Law, Society and Justice. She has been the recipient of a number of teaching awards including the Vice-Chancellor’s Performance Award. Michelle researches in the areas of Contract Law, Property law and Legal Education. She is a member of the QUT Law, Commercial and Property Law Research Centre. Some of Michelle’s publications include:
- Backstrom,Michelle “An examination of the independent certification processes of a construction contract”(2013) 29(5) Building and Construction Law Journal 406-416.
- Backstrom, Michelle & Christensen, Sharon A. (2011) “Qualified indefeasibility and the careless mortgagee” (2011)19(2) Australian Property Law Journal 109.
- Dixon, William M & Backstrom, Michelle “A changing landscape: The mortgagee’s power of sale in Queensland” (2009) 2(1&2) Journal of the Australasian Law Teachers Association 257-26.
- LWB 136 Contracts A
- LWB137 Contracts B
- LWS009 Introduction to Law
- Backstrom MA, (2013) An examination of the independent certification processes of a construction contract, Building and Construction Law Journal p406-416
- Wiseman L, Backstrom MA, Trowse PM, (2012) Contract Law [4th Edition], Contract Law [4th Edition] p239-252
- Backstrom M, Christensen SA, (2011) Qualified indefeasibility and the careless mortgagee, Australian Property Law Journal p109-129
- Backstrom M, (2011) Forged mortgages and Queensland's careless mortgagee exception to indefeasibility, Australian Property Law Bulletin p4
- Dixon BM, Backstrom MA, (2009) A changing landscape: the mortgagee's power of sale in Queensland, Journal of the Australasian Law Teachers Association p257-268
- Backstrom MA, (2009) Court finds solicitor in breach of fiduciary duty owed to client but loss not caused by the breach, Australian Property Law Bulletin p29-32
- Backstrom MA, (2009) Parties legally bound to unsigned put and call option, Australian Property Law Bulletin p8-11
- Backstrom MA, (2009) Mortgagee in breach of statutory duty, Queensland Lawyer p180-182
For more publications by this staff member, visit QUT ePrints, the University's research repository.