- Professor John Aaskov
Faculty of Health,
School - Biomedical Sciences
- IHBI Membership
Institute of Health Biomedical Innovation (IHBI),
IHBI Health Projects,
IHBI Biomedical Sciences - CDA
- Discipline *
- +61 7 3138 6193
- +61 7 3138 1534
- View location details (QUT staff and student access only)
PhD (University of Leeds), BSc(Hons) (University of Queensland)
- Professional memberships
- Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists, U.K.
- Fellow of the Australian Society of Microbiology
- Australian Society of Microbiology
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Australian Society of Immunology
- Australian Society of Infectious Diseases
- Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Asia Pacific Society of Medical Virology
Mosquito-borne viruses, Vaccine, Diagnostics, Molecular epidemiology, Disease surveillance, Dengue, Ross River virus
Research theme: Health
Research program: Infectious Diseases
Population dynamics of dengue viruses: Populations of dengue viruses in humans and mosquitoes are very diverse. We are studying the nature and magnitude of this diversity to see how it influences patterns of disease and to identify the challenges it poses for vaccines.
Ross River virus vaccine: Ross River virus is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in Australia and has caused a major epidemic in the Pacific. Ross River virus infection costs the Australian Health system more than $10 million each year. We have developed a vaccine against this disease and propose to begin clinical trials with a clinical partner in 2008. We also are undertaking the basic research that will underpin the strategy for the use of this vaccine.
Areas of expertise
- Global Emerging Infectious Disease Surveillance System
- Dengue in Myanmar
- Cook Estate
Selected research projects
- Population dynamics of dengue viruses
- Dengue in Myanmar
- Dengue in Asia and the Pacific
Teaching discipline: Life Sciences
- Life Sciences
Director, World Health Organisation Collaborating Centre for Arbovirus Reference and Research.
Major, Royal Australian Army Medical Corps. O.C. Arbovirology Department, Australian Army Malaria Institute.
Consultant/Technical Advisor, World Health Organisation.
Consultant, Asia Development Bank; Laboratory Strengthening Project, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos; Dengue, Japanese encephalitis and neglected tropical diseases.
- Kistner O, Barrett N, Bruhmann A, Reiter M, Mundt W, Savidis-Dacho H, Schober-Bendixen S, Dorner F, Aaskov JG, (2007) The Preclinical Testing of a Formaldehyde Inactivated Ross River Virus Vaccine Designed for Use in Humans, Vaccine p4845-4852
- Aaskov JG, Buzacott K, Field EJ, Lowry KS, Berlioz-Arthaud A, Holmes EC, (2007) Multiple Recombinant Dengue Type 1 Viruses in an Isolate from a Dengue Patient, Journal of General Virology p3334-3340
- Podder G, Breiman RR, Azim T, Thu H, Velathanthiri N, Mai L, Lowry KS, Aaskov J, (2006) Origin of Dengue Type 3 Viruses Associated With The Dengue Outbreak in Dhaka, Bangladesh, in 2000 and 2001, American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene p263-265
- Thu H, Lowry KS, Myint TT, Shwe T, Han AM, Khin KK, Thant KZ, Thein S, Aaskov J, (2004) Myanmar dengue outbreak associated with displacement of serotypes 2, 3, and 4 by dengue 1, Emerging Infectious Diseases p593-597
- Malavige GN, Ranatunga PK, Velathanthiri N, Fernando S, Karunatilaka DH, Aaskov J, Seneviratne SL, (2006) Patterns of Disease in Sri Lankan Dengue Patients, Archives of Disease in Childhood p396-400
- Reid M, Mackenzie D, Baron A, Lehmann N, Lowry kS, Aaskov J, Guirakhoo F, Monath TP, (2006) Experimental Infection of Culex Annulirostris, Culex Gelidus, and Aedes Vigilax With a Yellow Fever/Japanese Encephalitis Virus Vaccine Chimera (Chimerivax TM-JE), American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene p659-663
- Aaskov J, Buzacott K, Thu H, Lowry KS, Holmes EC, (2006) Long-Term Transmission of Defective RNA Viruses in Humans And Aedes Mosquitoes, Science p236-238
- Malavige GN, Velathanthiri N, Wijewickrama ES, Fernando S, Jayaratne SD, Aaskov J, Seneviratne SL, (2006) Patterns of Disease Among Adults Hospitalized With Dengue Infections, QJM: an international journal of medicine p299-305
- Thu H, Lowry K, Jiang L, Hlaing T, Holmes EC, Aaskov J, (2005) Lineage Extinction and Replacement in Dengue Type 1 Virus Populations are due to Stochastic Events Rather Than to Natural Selection, Virology p163-172
- Nam VS, Yen NT, Phong TV, Ninh TU, Mai L, Lo L, Nghia L, Bektas A, Briscombe A, Aaskov J, Ryan PA, Kay BH, (2005) Elimination of Dengue by Community Programs Using Mesocyclops (Copepoda) Against Aedes Aegypti in Central Vietnam, American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene p67-73
Completed supervisions (Doctorate)
- Development of Novel Vaccines for the Concurrent Immunisation against Multiple Dengue Virus Serotypes (2006)
- Identification of Epitopes on the Dengue Virus Type 4 Envelope Glycoprotein Involved in Neutralisation by Antibodies (2006)
- Virus Recognition in Electron Microscope Images Using Higher Order Spectral Features (2006)
- Virus Diversity and the Emergence of Dengue (2005)